The Voter ID Card or Electoral Photo ID Card (EPIC) is an identification card issued by the Election Commission to all the citizens of India above the age of 18 years in order to vote and practice their democratic rights. It also serves as general identity, address and age proof for other purposes from buying SIM card to applying for a passport.
A Voter ID card carries personal details such as date of birth and address of the card holder. It also contains the serial number, a hologram sticker, and stamped signature of the issuing authority.
|Some Important Links|
|Voter ID Card Information|
|Apply For The Voter ID Card|
|Update/Correction In Voter ID Card|
|Check Voter ID Card Application Status|
|Link Voter ID Card With Aadhaar Card|
Voter ID Verification Process in India
In order to verify voter ID, follow the below mentioned procedure:
- At first you need to log in to the official website of Election Commission of India (ECI) i.e. eci.nic.in. And in this website you will get all the required details that you need to know about online voter ID application process. Also look for the documents that you are required to submit during the process.
- In case you are applying for the Voter ID for the first time, you will have to fill in the details on Form – 6 and submit the duly filled form along with required documents. And applicants are required to submit the scanned copy of the documents and passport size images of the applicant must be attached wherever needed.
- Send the hard copy of your official documents to your nearest electoral office. It is suggestive to send the documents in person and avoid sending them by courier or post.
- Once you have submitted the form along with the required documents, make sure that they are error free and information is correct. After that an electoral officer may pay you a visit in order to verify your address by talking to your neighbours and other members of the society / neighbourhood.
Application Number For Voter Card Verification
Whichever ways you apply for a voter ID card, either online or offline, you should keep a track of your application number so that you can keep a check at any point the status of your application. ECI (Election Commission of India) will assign you an application number at the time you register for a voter’s ID. This number is usually a set of 11 digits.
How to Verify Election Voter ID Card
- Acquire a form either online or offline whichever way is convenient for you. Fill out the form with correct details and submit it along with the required documents.
- Once submitted and the documents such as address proof, identity proof, the details will be verified.
- Since the above mentioned steps are done, the applicants will be eligible to receive a voter ID card. They will also receive an acknowledgement number by the ECI.
- A Booth Level Officer (BLO) will pay a visit at the applicant’s residence in order to verify relevant details. In case, the information you provided does not match, your application will be cancelled.
- And in case of details found correct by the officer, then the verification will be complete and applicants will receive their Voter ID by post after around 2 – 3 weeks.
Voter ID verification process is same in all the states in India. Every state has (CEO) Chief Electoral Officer who is responsible for conducting State Assembly and Lok Sabha elections along with Gram Panchayat Election.