The Voter ID Card or Electoral Photo ID Card (EPIC) is an identification card issued by the Election Commission to all the citizens of India above the age of 18 years in order to vote and practice their democratic rights. It also serves as general identity, address and age proof for other purposes from buying SIM card to applying for a passport].
Voter ID cards carry personal details such as face photo, date of birth and address of the card holder. It also contains the serial number, a hologram sticker and stamped signature of the issuing authority.
EPIC is also a unique identification document for all Indians. It is helpful not only in casting vote but also acts as an identity proof while opening a bank account, getting a new gas connection and online reservations for travel and accommodation.
“Democracy runs on the power of its people“. Hence to exercise the power given to us, it is indeed important to cast our vote and make ourselves heard.
|Some Important Links|
|Apply For The Voter ID Card|
|Update/Correction In Voter ID Card|
|Check Voter ID Card Application Status|
|Voter ID Card Verification|
|Link Voter ID Card With Aadhaar Card|
- 1 How to Apply for a Voter ID Card
- 2 Documents Required for Voter ID Card
- 3 Eligibility Criteria to get a Voter ID Card
- 4 Uses of a Voter ID card
- 5 How to Track Voter ID Application Status Online
- 6 How to Verify Your Voter ID
- 7 Voter ID Card Correction in Electoral Roll
- 8 Things to Ponder over while Applying for a Voter ID card
- 9 FAQs
- 10 Voter ID Cards In India
How to Apply for a Voter ID Card
- Visit the official website of Election Commission and click on National Voters’ Services Portal.
- Now click on ‘Apply online for registration of new voter id‘
- Once the online form opens, fill in the all the required details.
- There is an upload button on the top of the form, which applicants can use to upload all the required documents along with a recent photograph
- After filling on the details, applicants can click on submit.
- Once the documents are successfully uploaded applicants will be sent a reference number through which they can check Voter ID Status.
- Visit the State Election office and request for a Form 6.
- After filling in the necessary details and providing all relevant documents such as Identity proof and address proof, customers can submit the form to the office and after verification of all details; customers will be issued with the Election ID after a specified period of time.
Semi Online Election ID
- Visit the National Election Commission or State Election Commission website and download Form 6.
- Fill in the required details properly
- Provide the required documents along with a recent photograph
- Submit the form at election office by either post or in person.
Documents Required for Voter ID Card
Provide the required details while applying for a voter ID card:
- Application Form
- Age Proof
- Passport Size Photograph
- Identity Proof
- Address Proof
For address proof one can any of the following documents:
- Mobile telephone bill
- Land phone bill
- Water bill
- Electricity bill
- Property tax receipt
- Bank statement
- Ration card
- House Lease/Rental agreement
- LPG receipt
- Driving license
- Identity cards given by the employer
- Any of the alternative documents prescribed by Election Commission for identity proof.
Eligibility Criteria to get a Voter ID Card
- Applicants should be the citizens of India
- Applicants should attain the minimum 18 years of age
- Enrolment only at ordinary place of residence
- Enrolment only at one place
- Overseas Indian deemed to be ordinarily resident at address given in passport.
- Service Voters deemed to be ordinarily resident at their home address.
Uses of a Voter ID card
Voter ID card is required for a number of purposes. It is also considered as an identification card. It has other uses as well.
- Voter ID card is considered to be a valid personal identity card
- This EPIC card proves that the card holder is a registered voter of the country, which in turn proves their citizenship as well
- This card provides the assurance of the card holder as it contains card holder’s signature, photograph, fingerprints etc.
How to Track Voter ID Application Status Online
All Indian State has a State Election Commission, which means every state has a CEO (Chief Electoral Office) website, which provides the facility to track your application status online.
To track the status follow the below mentioned procedures:
- Visit the official website of your states CEO portal.
- And on the home page, click on “know the status of your Application for Enrollment” and upon clicking on this, it direct you to a new page where you will have to provide some basic details.
- Or you can visit the National Voters’ Services portal and click on “Search your name in electoral roll“, after clicking on the link it will provide two options to track your application, which are as follows:
- First Option – Enter your application or EPIC or State number and submit
- Second Option – Provide some details in order to track the status of your Voter ID card :
- Date of Birth (DOB)
- Father’s Name
- District Constituency
How to Verify Your Voter ID
You can verify your voter ID, for that you will need your Voter ID number. Visit the official site of Chief Electoral Office (CEO) of your state and provide your voter ID details. By doing this you can check if your name is present in the electoral roll.
You can verify using the offline method as well, for that you will have to visit your nearest Election Commission Office and keep your application number handy.
Voter ID Card Correction in Electoral Roll
In case there is some misprint in your voter ID card, or you have changed your address, you should immediately update or correct it as this card works as your proof of identity.
In case of misprint, procure form 8 and fill out the form, submit the form along with the supporting documents to the Electoral Registration Officer (ERO) of your assembly constituency. Once submitted, the ERO will update your Voter ID card.
Things to Ponder over while Applying for a Voter ID card
- The legal age to cast a vote in India is 18 years of age
- Relevant form for applying for a Voter ID card is Form 6.
- Provide relevant original documents only.
- Apply for a Voter ID only through Government websites and Centres or sites which have been approved by the Government.
- Fill in the details in the application form correctly such as spelling of you name, date of birth etc. Otherwise wrong information might get printed on the Voter ID Card.
- Applicants should also ensure that the information that is being provided is legally correct and is not fake.
- Once applicants receive their Voter ID, they will have to check the document to see if all the information is correct.
Voter ID Cards In India