The Voter ID card or Electoral Photo ID Card (EPIC) is an identification card issued by the Election Commission to all the citizens of India above the age of 18 years in order to vote and practice their democratic rights. It also serves as general identity, address and age proof for other purposes from buying SIM card to applying for a passport.
Voter ID card carry personal details such as face photo, date of birth and address of the card holder. It also contains the serial number, a hologram sticker and stamped signature of the issuing authority.
India’s population has reached over 1.2 Billion. This means there is more scope for error in issuing an Identity Card like EPIC. Hence, the Election Commission of India (ECI) has provided enough measures to rectify these errors if they occur during the EPIC issuance process. Now, voters who find that their name or any other information is wrong can get their name corrected in the list by following a simple process.
|Some Important Links|
|Voter ID Card Information|
|Apply For The Voter ID Card|
|Check Voter ID Card Application Status|
|Voter ID Card Verification|
|Link Voter ID Card With Aadhaar Card|
Correction in Voter ID
A correction is required if there is some misspelling of the name or error in any other information in the details of elector or voter on the electoral roll. To rectify the error, concerned person should fill Form 8 and then submit it either online or offline. Detailed information about Form 8 is given below.
This form is meant for people whose name is already on the electoral roll and they are seeking corrections to any particulars printed on the roll.
Documents required to fill up this form
- Recent passport size photograph (3.5 cm x 3.5 cm) and photo should be in JPG format and maximum size of the image should be 100 KB only.
- Age Proof document should be in jpg Format and maximum size of the image should be 100 KB only.
- Address proof document should be in jpg format and maximum size of the image should be 100 KB only.
Online Method to make Corrections in Voter Id Card
- Visit National Voters Service Portal www.nvsp.in
- Click on “Correction of entries in electoral roll”
- Click on “Form 8” on the page
- This will direct you to the actual page wherein you can request for voter card correction.
- Enter the following details in the form.
- Your State and Parliamentary Constitution / Assembly
- Name, Gender, Age, Part number of electoral roll and Serial number
- Provide details of the family including the name of father / mother / husband
- Enter your complete address
- Provide Voter ID Card details
- Once this information is provided, upload documents which support them like latest photograph, valid ID proof, and address proof
- Now, choose the details which need to be corrected/changed.
- Enter the place you are making a request from (city).
- Mention the date on which this request to correct the name in your voter ID is being made.
- Provide your contact information (mobile number, email ID).
- Verify the information provided by you and click the “Submit” tab.
Election Commission of India (ECI) will verify the changes made and incorporate it in case of accurate information.
If verified successfully you will receive a notification and you can collect the voter ID card from the nearest electoral office.
Offline Method to make Corrections in Voter Id Card
- Get a Form 8 from Electoral Registration Officer and Assistant Electoral Registration Officer of the constituency or download it from National Voters Service Portal.
- Fill “Form 8” properly and attach relevant documents
- Submit the form in person at the concerned Electoral Registration Officer / Assistant Electoral Registration Officer. One can send the form by post addressed to him.
Documents Required to make corrections in Voter ID Card
- Two passport size photo
- Proof of Address
- Bank / post Office Passbook
- Ration Card
- Driving Licence
- Income Tax Return
- Latest Rent Agreement
- Latest Utility Bill (Water, Gas, Telephone, Rent Agreement etc)
- Proof of Age
- Aadhaar Card
- Driving License
- PAN Card
- Copy of Voter ID Card (Both Sides)