Last updated on November 7th, 2017 at 04:09 pm
In a democratic country, the power lies with the people who elect the representatives who run the government. And in a populous country like India, which is also one of the largest democratic countries in the world, voting malpractice like the use of black money for rallies, cash for votes, and duplicity in the election etc cannot be denied.
Hence, to make the voting procedure smooth and fair, the Government introduced Voter Identity Cards in 1993 also known as EPIC (Electoral Photo Identity Cards).
It is very important for People of Gujarat to get a Voter ID now if they don’t have one, as the State will be going for Assembly Election in a few month’s period. We will explain the process of getting a new Voter ID, get your information corrected/updated in an existing Voter ID below.
|Gujarat Assembly Election Schedule|
|182 Constituencies||Phase I (89 Seats)||Phase II (93 Seats)|
|Date of Issue of Gazette Notification||Nov 14, 2017||Nov 20, 2017|
|Last date of nominations||Nov 21, 2017||Nov 27, 2017|
|Scrutiny of nominations||Nov 22, 2017||Nov 28, 2017|
|Last date for withdrawal of nominations||Nov 24, 2017||Nov 30, 2017|
|Polling Date||Dec 09, 2017||Dec 14, 2017|
|Counting of votes||Dec 18, 2017||Dec 18, 2017|
- 1 How to Get a New Voter ID in Gujarat
- 2 How to Correct / Update your Voter ID in Gujarat
- 3 How to change your Address in voter ID in Gujarat
- 4 Track Status of Voter ID Online in Gujarat
- 5 Track Voter ID Status via SMS
- 6 Helpline number of ECI (Election Commission of India)
How to Get a New Voter ID in Gujarat
State Election Commission has commenced the process of issuing new voter id in Gujarat keeping in mind the upcoming assembly elections. You can apply to get a New Electoral Photo Identity Card (EPIC) either Online or via Offline methods.
Apply for Voter ID Offline in Gujarat
In India, while the Government is pushing people to go online there is still a larger population who still prefer completing the procedure in person rather than the online method.
If one wishes to apply for voter ID by visiting the electoral office, they can do that by following the below mention steps
- Obtain a Form 6 (Application for inclusion of name in electoral roll after the draft publication of roll) by the election commission of India
- Fill the form properly with correct details
- Attach the required documents which includes photographs, proof of address, proof of age
- Provide information’s about someone from the family or neighbourhood already exist in the electoral roll
- Visit the nearest Electoral Registration Office along with the required documents
- To verify the application form, Booth Level officers may visit the applicant’s residence for the verification purpose. After which you will receive your Voter ID card.
- Also, after every five years, revision of electoral rolls takes place during which house to house enumeration happens. One can make use of such drives to get them registered as a voter without any hassles.
Apply for Voter ID Online in Gujarat
The Chief Electoral Officers in Gujarat have introduced a dedicated website that will make the application for Voter ID cards easy and simple.
Read the steps below to apply for a voter ID online in Gujarat
- Visit the official website of Chief Electoral Officer of Gujarat https://ceo.gujarat.gov.in/
- Click on the “Online Voter Registration”
- Before making a fresh registration check if you are already registered in any constituency.
- To check if the name is already in any of the constituency; one will have to provide information like district name, name, father or husband’s name and age.
- In case the name of the eligible voter is not on the electoral list: they can make a fresh application and register in the official website by providing name, email id, phone number, address and pin code.
- After registration, select “Form 6 for new Voter Registration” and provide the EPIC number of the family member or a neighbour.
- In the next step, provide information like name, address, date of birth, and details of other family members whose name has been enrolled in the electoral list.
- Once the form is submitted, upload the documents like address proof and age proof.
- Now the applicant will receive a copy of the PDF file which he/she is required to save and take a print out.
- Submit the printout to the nearest Election Commission office by post.
Note: [Registration in electoral roll is not allowed in more than one constituency]
After verification, the new Voter ID will be sent to the applicant by post to the registered address.
How to Correct / Update your Voter ID in Gujarat
Voter ID is one of the most crucial documents as it acts as the proof of identity for the citizens. Hence, it is important to ensure that the details you provide in the document are accurate.
Offline Way of getting your Voter ID Card Corrected/Updated
In case of any misprint or wrong information on the document i.e. voter ID card read below to make the changes done:
- Obtain Form 8 (Application form for correction of details in electoral roll) by election commission of India
- Fill the form with proper information and sign it wherever required
- Attach your photograph to the form
- Along with the form, attach copies of your KYC (Know Your Customer) documents including address proof, age proof and identity proof.
- Submit the Form 8 at the nearest Election Commission Office
- Once the applicants submit the application, it will be reviewed and the new card will be sent to your registered address through post.
Voter ID Update Online in Gujarat
Gujarat Chief Electoral Officer’s website offers online facility to make changes in details printed in voter ID:
- Visit the official website of Chief Electoral Officer of Gujarat https://ceo.gujarat.gov.in/
- In home page select “Online Voter Registration” on the right hand side of the screen
- Open the link https://erms.gujarat.gov.in/OVR/SignIn.aspx
- Login using your credentials.
- Now select “Form 8 for Voter Detail Modification” and enter Voter ID card number to proceed.
- In Form 8, which is designed by the election commission of India, enter details like name, date of birth, address and other details about your family members whose names have been included in the electoral roll.
- Set down the information one wish to change and attach the required documents.
- Submit the form with properly filled information.
- Upon submission, the applicant will receive a PDF file.
- Save the PDF file, take a print out and send it to the nearest Election Commission Office
- The application for changing the details in the Voter ID card of the applicant will be reviewed and the new card will be sent via post to your address.
How to change your Address in voter ID in Gujarat
In case someone has moved to some other constituency within Gujarat, they must update their new address immediately in their voter ID.
This can be done offline as well as online, both the methods are given below.
Change of Address in Voter ID Offline Process
- Download the Form 8 from the official website of Chief Electoral Office in Gujarat https://ceo.gujarat.gov.in/ or one can collect the form from the nearest Chief Electoral Office as well
- Fill the Form 8 Properly and submit it at the nearest Electoral office
- Submit the form along with all the required documents to the nearest Election Commission Office.
- The Election Commission Office will check your application and will send a new EPIC with the corrected address to your residential address.
Change of Address in Voter ID Online Process
In case the voter moves to another constituency, or selected a wrong constituency at the time of registration, he/she can change their address online which is a hassle-free and convenient method offered by the Chief Electoral Officer of Gujarat:
- Log on to the National Voter’s Services Portal Website http://www.nvsp.in/
- In the homepage, select “Correction of entries in electoral roll”
- In the options that are being displayed, select Form 8 A which is for transposition within the assembly or Form 8 which is for correction of address http://www.nvsp.in/Forms/Forms/form8
- Now in this form 8, provide details like name, address, contact details, date of birth, father’s name, spouse’s name if applicable and information about family members who already exist in the electoral roll.
- Now submit the form
- After submission, the application will be reviewed and will be forwarded for further verification
- Now once the Form 8 is completely filled and submitted, the applicants are required to save the PDF file they have received and send it to the nearest Election Commission Office in Gujarat.
- Once the verification id done the new Voter ID card with updated address will be sent to your registered address via post.
Track Status of Voter ID Online in Gujarat
Once you apply for the voter ID card, you can check the voter ID status online.
Check By Name
- Choose your form:
- Form 6 – (Application for inclusion of name in electoral roll after the draft publication of roll)
- Form 7 – (Application Application form for objection to include a name in electoral roll)
- Form 8 – (Application Application form for correction of details in electoral roll)
- Form 8 A – (Application form for transposition of an entry in the electoral roll)
- Enter Your Surname
- First Name
- Father / Husband Name
- Click on search to generate the result
Check By ID
- Choose your form
- Select your form:
- Form 6
- Form 7
- Form 8
- Form 8 A
- Enter your Application Number
- Click on search to generate your results
- Check By District
- Select your District
- Select your assembly
- A list will automatically generate
Track Voter ID Status via SMS
To check if your name has been updated in the list of electoral list
Type EPIC voter ID number and send it to 8511199899
Helpline number of ECI (Election Commission of India)
One can call the ECI (Election Commission of India) Helpline number 1950 tollfree. The helpline is available on all working days between 10:00 am and 5:00 pm.
Once you have received the Voter Id Card make sure to Link the Voter Id Card with Aadhaar Card.Check here for complete step by step linking procedure.