UIDAI (Unique Identification Authority of India) who is the issuer of 12 – digit Unique Identification Number on behalf of the government, has modified the online tools where the Aadhaar card holders could update their basic details online. However, in the new changes made by the UIDAI, Aadhaar holders can only update their address online or by post. Only address can be updated online by post with effect from October 20, 2017, the UIDAI said on a micro blogging site, Twitter.
Hence, people now cannot change or update other details such as name, date of birth, mobile number and email address online, they will have to visit the ‘Aadhaar Kendra’ or Aadhaar Centre nearest to them in order to make a request.
How to update Address fed into Aadhaar Database
- Visit the official website of UIDAI and ‘Address Update Request (Online)’ tool. You can find the link here: https://ssup.uidai.gov.in/web/guest/update.
- Now enter your 12 – digit Aadhaar number and click on the ‘Send OTP’ option, which you will receive on your registered mobile number by the Aadhaar system.
- Now on the next page, you are required to select ‘Address’ and proceed by clicking ‘Submit’ button.
- Now on the next page, the UIDAI website enables the user to check the entries.
- Check the entries properly and proceed by providing the valid documents which supports the changes. And you are required to upload digital files created by scanning the original documents. As stated by UIDAI,Upload original scan copies, else your update request will be rejected… Upload only the valid documents to avoid update request from rejection
- Now select from the available service providers and proceed. At this stage, the UIDAI portal also displays the estimated time required to process your request.
- And finally at the time of submission, a URN (Update Request Number) will be issued. And this URN will be used to track the status of your request.
Documents Required for Aadhaar Address change
You will have to provide following documents to change the address in your Aadhaar Card
- Scanned image of original proof of address (PoA)
- Bank statement / passbook
- Statement of Post Office account / passbook
- Ration card, Voter ID, driving license, water bill and telephone landline bill are some of the other documents
Also please note that the bills for water, telephone and electricity must not be older than three months.