Home » Posts tagged 'Insurance'
Tag Archives: Insurance
Risk and uncertainty are incidental to life. These uncertainties are increasing day by day due to the fastness of life hence causing risks and damages. A man may meet an untimely death or may suffer from an accident, destruction of property on fire, floods, earthquakes etc. thus, whenever there is an uncertainty, there is the risk as well as insecurity.
Therefore, to secure these and fight against the risks and policies Insurance Policies came into being. Therefore, an Insurance means a protection from the Financial Loss. It is a type of Risk Management to fight against the risks and uncertainties.
For issuing an Insurance, an Insurance Policy is a must. An insurance policy is a standard form contract that deals with the insurer and the insured known as the policyholder which determines the claims which the insurer is required to pay.
The Life Insurance Sector is one of the rapidly growing financial sectors in India. There is a number of products that are offered right from the fueling investment need to meeting different financial goals. In this article, we are going to talk about the different Insurance Policies.
Types of the Insurance Policies
There are basically two types of Insurance Policies: Traditional Whole Life and Term Life Insurance.
The Traditional Whole Life Insurance is a type of Insurance policy that will pay you till the death of the policyholder and the Term Life Insurance is a policy for a fixed period of time.
The Main types of Insurance Policies are:
- Endowment Policy
- Term Insurance
- Money or Cash Plans
- Whole Life Insurance
- Children’s Policies
- Annuity plans
Now let’s talk about these Insurance Policies one by one.
It is a traditional insurance plan that pays a lump sum of money at the time of the death of the policyholder.
Key Features of the Endowment Policy
- The sum accumulated in the Endowment Policy can be payable either at the time of survival or the death of the policyholder.
- The Endowment Policies are available “With Profit” and “Without Profit” plans.
- Under the Endowment policies, bonus for the full term is payable at the time of the maturity or in the event of death, whichever is earlier.
- Premiums for the endowment policies can be limited for a shorter period of time can be paid as a single premium.
- The premiums can be ceased on death or on the expiry of the term whichever is earlier.
Benefits of the Endowment Policy
- The Endowment Policy will provide an insurance cover during the policy term.
- This will pay out a sizeable lump sum amount at the end of the policy term i.e. when once the policy has matured.
- The policy works to serve a dual purpose. It not only serves as an Insurance Policy but also serves as a long-term investment offering decent returns.
- The Endowment Policies comes with tax benefits.
- In terms of Investing, the endowment policy is the safest and best one to use as they offer returns which are close to the mutual funds.
- The endowment policies enable long-term savings.
- Through this policy, you can be assured that you will receive a considerable amount upon maturity.
- Most of the endowment plans will extend the insurance coverage and the promise of benefits even after the maturity date. In some cases, the life insured attains an age of 100.
- Policyholders have an option for additional riders which provides cover for specific illness, critical illness, disabilities etc.
A term insurance is defined as the type of Insurance that can be availed at a certain period of time or for a fixed period of time. The term insurance comes in different terms such as 10 years, 20 years, and 30 years. The most significant feature of the term insurance policy is that they have a built-in feature that gets converted to permanent life insurance policies irrespective of the state of health of the term of the Insurance Policy Holder.
Benefits of the Term Insurance
There are several advantages of Term Insurance:
- Term Insurance Plans are an excellent way to build a financial security.
- The term insurance policies come at the fixed and affordable premium.
- In this insurance plan, the benefit received is more than the amount that you have invested. Thus, you get a greater returns on these policies.
- It provides you a sufficient coverage. The sufficient cover is equal to 10 times to that of the annual income.
- The term insurance has different customized plans (Term Return of Premium Plans) under which they provide survival benefits in the form of premium funds at maturity.
- The term insurance plan offers a coverage for a fixed term. This indicates that you can take term insurance for a fixed duration wherein your family is financially protected. Following this, you can retire comfortably.
- Claim rejections are lower in the Term Insurance Policy.
- The term insurance plans offer a flexibility of buying a policy offline or online.
- It also offers flexible premium payment options, allowing the policyholders to choose theirs as per their convenience. The premiums can be either single pay, limited pay or regular pay.
Money or Cash Plans
Money or cash plans helps you to invest a small portion of the money and a payable sum of money is assured as returned to the insured person by the insurance company. The payment is done on the periodical basis and in form of a survival benefit. When the term expires, the outstanding sum assured is paid as a maturity benefit. However, the lifetime risk is covered for the entire amount of the agreed sum assured, even if a portion of the benefits has been already paid.
Features of the Money or the Cash Plans
- It provides an adaptability to pre-prone the arrangement Maturity Date at whatever time.
- Provides an ensured loyalty benefit of 10% of the Annualized Premium every year where the Premium Payment Term is equivalent to 5 years, 10 years or 15 years.
- Wealth accumulations through extra increases.
Benefits of Money and Cash Plans
- Provides ensured money back benefits at regular intervals.
- A maturity benefit equivalent to the assured sum.
- You can make the payments the way you want such as with yearly, half-yearly, quarterly and month to month premium installment modes.
- Get tax cuts on the ventures, and on the returns according to the relevant pay impose laws.
- Get life front of no less than 10 times the annualized premium for the whole strategy term.
Whole Life Insurance
The Whole Life Insurance is a contract with premiums that includes the insurance and investment components.
Whole life insurance provides the policyholders with the ability to accumulate wealth as regular premium payments cover insurance costs. These payments also contribute to the equity growth in a savings account. The whole life insurance, as the name suggests provides insurance to an individual for an entire life.
Benefits of the Whole Life Insurance Policy
- The individual will get an insurance cover for the entire life, unlike other life insurance plans that are fixed for a certain period of time.
- It also provides a lifetime coverage along with the guaranteed level of premiums for a limited premium payment term.
- Sum assured is guaranteed and the bonuses are declared based on the performance. Some companies also offer survival benefit from the end of the premium payment term till the policy matures. Tax benefits are also available to the insured under the Section 80C and Section 10(10D) of the Income Tax Act 1961.
- It serves as the source of cash. That means, with the whole life plan you can get the cash at the end of the premium payment term.
- In Whole Life Insurance Policy, loan options are also available. The surrender value of the policy increases according to the overtime and you can borrow against the policy’s surrender value at any point in time. This is a better alternative option to borrow against the home or retirement accounts.
- The Whole Life Insurance Policy acts as a financial source for your family as well. This plan is perfect for the estate planning individuals who want to pass their estate to their legal heir as it creates wealth accumulation.
Child Life Insurance Policy is a permanent life insurance that ensures the life of the minor. It is an insurance along with the benefits of investment plans. Thus, it provides dual benefits. These plans can be taken in the name of the child or parent. But this policy is only for the benefit of the child. This helps the parents to financially construct the career and future of their child.
Features and Benefits
- This insurance policy financially secures your child’s future and provides finance during the turning points of his/her educational career.
- It is also beneficial for the marriage of your children. It offers comprehensive benefits of life cover along with the maturity benefit.
- There are two types of maturity benefits to choose from the Child Plans. Either. One can choose for the money back option which offers guaranteed payouts every year and after a few years, a lump sum amount is paid out at the end of the maturity of the policy. This options can be chosen at any point in time depending as per your convenience. The lump sum provides a huge amount which can be utilized in their education, marriage or even buying a house for your children.
An annuity is a long-term investment plan that is issued by an insurance company. This is designed to help and protect you from the risk of outliving your income. Through this policy plan, you can purchase the payments that are converted into periodic payments that can last for life. This insurance product that pays out income and can be used as a part of the retirement strategy.
Benefits of the Annuity Plans
- They offer a larger amount of cash and defer paying taxes.
- There is no annual contribution limit for an annuity.
- When you are out of cash, you can take the lump-sum amount from your annuity, but many retirees prefer to set up guaranteed payments after a specific period of time or for the rest of the life, providing a steady stream of income.
Term insurance is a type of insurance that is available for a defined period of time (number of years). The only difference between a term insurance policy and other policies is that a term insurance policy is comparatively economical as it does not have any cash value. The policy is applicable only if the insured dies within the timeframe during which the term insurance policy is in force.
Various insurance providers are offering term insurance policy that comes for various terms such as 10 years, 20 years, 30 years etc. The term insurance policy also has a built – in feature where it can get converted to permanent life insurance policies irrespective of the state of the health of the policy holder.
In case of the event death of the policy holder during the term of the policy, the beneficiaries can claim death benefits from the insurance company. And the beneficiary or nominee can be a family member.
To know more about various Insurance Policies in India – Click Here
Best Online Term Plans in India
Insurance companies offers online term insurance plans keeping the convenience of customers in mind. We have listed out some of the benefits of buying term insurance online:
- Buying term insurance online is more beneficial as one can benefit from lower policy cost as compared to buying it in traditional ways. From the insurer’s point of view, the involvement of life insurance agents and field officers, for online sales are limited. Hence, the insurance company passes on this benefit to the customer.
- Also, online process is the most convenient as one can operate from the convenience of their home and the application process also happens in a hassle-free manner.
- As the customers are purchasing the term insurance online, they are saved from the manipulation of the insurance agent or advisor.
- Irrespective of the way the customer chooses for purchasing the term plan, the customers are serviced in the same manner.
- In addition, online plans have low premiums such as
- There is no mediator in the deal
- The online buyer is considered to be a low – risk customers for the insurance company. The customers are expected to be educated, earning well, and is likely to have health insurance. In the event of an emergency, the customers would be in a position to reach a hospital on time and get access to quality medical facilities. These factors contribute towards the low risk and reduction premium.
Why should you buy Term Insurance?
Getting a Term Insurance is profitable as you can secure your family’s future and save them from crisis by financially securing them through a term plan.
In case of event of death of the policy holder occurs, the family of the insurer will get a lump sum amount as a death benefit which can bring financial stability to your family and pay off the liabilities.
Things to ponder over while buying online Term Insurance
Your online price quote depends on the basis of an assumption that the applicant carries normal risk in terms of health, occupation, and your family’s medical history. Once you have provided all the required documents, you may have to undergo a medical check – up to arrive at the actual policy cost. In case your medical test indicates that you are exposed to certain risk, the premium for your insurance may arise.
Internet has revolutionized our way of living and buying an online insurance plan is indeed a smart move. However, one should be careful and avoid policy lapse which can occur by missing premium payments as there will be no insurance agent to remind you of your premium payment due date. Another way to avoid the date of your premium payment is that you can send ECS (Electronic Clearing Service) mandate to your bank so that the premium amount is automatically deducted on the due date. Besides that you can also set up an alert on your mobile phone or computer is also a great way to remind yourself of the payment date.
Also, your insurance premium will be 25% to 30% higher if you are a smoker or use tobacco in any other form compared to people who does not use tobacco. Hence, make sure to mention this information in your application for insurance as at the time of the claim, if the insurer finds that the customer had concealed the information, the claim will be rejected. The insurer may also cancel the policy, as applicable.
Let us look at the table below where we have listed out the Term Insurance plans in India:
|Term Plans||Entry Age (Min / Max)||Maximum Maturity||Sum Assured (Minimum)||Claim Settlement Ratio (FY 2015 – 16)|
|Aegon life iTerm Insurance Plan||18 / 65 years||80 years||Rs. 2.5 Lakh||95.30%|
|Bajaj Allianz iSecure Online Term Plan||18 / 60 years||70 years||2.5 Lakh||91.30%|
|Canara HSBC OBC eSmart Term Plan||18 / 70 years||75 years||25 Lakh||92.99%|
|ICICI Pru iProtect Smart term Plan||18 / 65 years||75 years||Subject to Minimum Premium||96.20%|
|Kotak Preferred Term Plan||18 / 65 years||75 years||25 Lakh||94.08%|
|LIC eTerm Plan||18 / 60 years||75 years||25 Lacs||98.19%|
|Max Life Super Term Plan||18 / 60 years||75 years||25 Lacs||96.23%|
|PNB MetLife Mera Term Plan||18 / 65 years||75 years||10 Lacs||92.90%|
|SBI Life eShield Term Insurance Plan||18 / 65 years||70 years||20 Lacs||95.70%|
Features of Term Life Insurance Plans
Term Insurance Plan is designed in a way to secure your family’s core financial needs at the uncertain events such as death. In this scheme, the beneficiaries such as family / dependents of the life insured will get lump sum amount in case of death or critical illness. Such insurance plan can help your family to have a sound financial independence, even if you are not around.
Read below to know some of the key features of Term Life Insurance Plans:
- Term Life Plan comes with excellent tax benefits. Under the scheme, one can avail profitable tax benefits under section 80 C. Also, the premiums paid the premiums paid for the Critical Illness Benefit also qualify for a deduction under section 80 D.
- The minimum policy term of Life Term Plan is of 5 years and the maximum is of 25 years to whole life span for equated monthly premium payments. For single premium payment policies, the policy term is 5 to 15 years. One can opt for the term plan period they think works for them. Experts suggest that one should go for long term plan as the premium amount generally gets locked and the insured party gets to pay the same premium over the tenure of the term plan for the same amount of cover.
- One can also choose the payment options according to their convenience as Term Insurance policies offers flexible premium payment options. Where premiums can be limited pay, single pay or regular pay plans. And the subscriber who chooses limited or regular pay plans can pay their premium plans either monthly, quarterly, half – yearly or annually.
- The subscribers also get a choice to opt for the kind of plan they wish to take as per their convenience. They can choose either single or joint life plans as per their need. They can thus choose to extend coverage for dependent spouses or choose a plan exclusively for the breadwinner of the family.
- On the event of death of the policyholder during the policy term, the beneficiary will receive the amount chosen at the time of choosing the policy. And the amount that the beneficiary would receive depends on the term plan, with the amount increasing, decreasing or remaining the same irrespective of at what point of time of the policy, the policy holder’s death occurs.
- There are insurers who design plans in a way that they can offer survival benefits in the form of premium refunds on maturity, whereas a regular term insurance plan does not have any survival benefits.
- Also, upon maturity of the policy, surviving policy holder stand to receive benefits under a TROP (return the premium paid by the insured person over the tenure of the plan) policy only. And in case of a TROP policy, the policyholder will receive the premium amount paid over the policy tenure as one lump sum.
- Any interested policy holder can also opt for add – on features to their regular term insurance policy. And these add – on plans will push up the price of the premium being paid but provide additional benefits in case of accidental death, critical illness, total and permanent disability benefit etc.
How to choose a Term Insurance Plan
There are many options in front of an interested person, with different policy terms, benefits and sum assured amounts. To make the decision making easier, we have listed out some important points that you should keep in mind when looking for a term insurance plan:
- Make sure to check the reputation of the insurance company before picking an insurance policy. It is important to check the FICO score as term insurance policy is a long-term investment.
- One of the important factors before choosing a term insurance policy is the amount you would be paying in terms of premium for the protection offered.
- Inflation is another factor one should keep in mind before choosing a Term Insurance Plan. Term Insurance Policies are usually taken for 10 – 20 years, during which time inflation will grind down the value of the rupee, which will result into lower returns at the time of maturity. To offset this, consider companies that offer plans where the cover increases by 5% to 10% annually to keep in line with inflation.
- Also, make sure to compare policies online so that you can be clear of the plan you want to proceed with. The comparing facility is offered by the third – party financial websites, which are also free of cost.
- In case you are unable to choose the best policy for yourself, it is advisable to seek advice from an insurance advisor. This way you can pick up the right policy for yourself.
- The most important part of choosing the right policy for you is to read the terms and conditions properly before making a decision.
Documents Required for Term Insurance
Every insurance company ask for some documents at the time of applying for term insurance. Following is the list of documents you are required to provide when taking a term insurance plan.
- PAN (Permanent Account Number) card
- Proof of identity using documents like passport, Voter ID card, Aadhaar card, driving license, letter from a public servant or authority verifying identity.
- Proof of address with documents like utility bills (electricity, telephone) ration card, bank account statement, voter ID card or passport
- Proof of income with documents like Income tax returns, employer’s certificate, or Income Tax assessment order.
- Some recently clicked passport size photograph.
Eligibility Criteria for Term Insurance
Before taking up a Term Insurance policy, interested people are required to meet certain eligibility criteria which are as follows:
- To take the plan the policyholders are required to have attained 18 years or above that
- The maximum entry age will depend on the minimum tenure of the policy
- The maximum age at the time of maturity for these policies can be 75 years but this could change from one insurer to the next
- The minimum age for maturity will be determined based on the minimum age at entry and the minimum tenure offered
- The sum assured will also be a factor in calculating the eligibility as many policies have a fixed minimum sum assured
- This may not be mandatory; however, some insurer may ask you to undergo a medical checkup before taking up the policy.
Do you have a habit of shopping frequently? Even when you don’t really require them? If that is the case, and if you are a habitual spender then Endowment Policies is the best option for you.
An Endowment Policy is a Life Insurance Policy which helps the Policyholder to save regularly for over a specific period of time. It is a traditional Insurance plan that pays out a lump sum amount of money after the event of the death of the Policyholder. The beneficiaries/ nominees of the life insured receive the benefit which is called as the death benefit. The Endowment plan also works the similar way, but also has some additional clause that states that the lump sum payment will be made to the Insurance holder if he or she survives till the end of the specified period of time known as the “maturity period”.
There are different Endowment Policies such as there are some companies that have a lump sum payout due to the critical illness or other Life-changing events.
Features of the Endowment Policies
- The sum assured in an Endowment Policy is payable either on the survival or on the death of the Policyholder.
- The Endowment Policies are available “With Profit” and “Without Profit” plans.
- The Endowment Policies offer bonuses for the full term, that is payable at the time of maturity or in the event of death.
- Premiums of the Endowment Policies can be limited to a shorter term or can be paid as a single premium.
- Premiums can be ceased on death or on expiry of the term, whichever is earlier.
Benefits of the Endowment Policies
- An Endowment Policy will provide an Insurance cover during the Policy term.
- This will also pay out a lump-sum amount at the end of the Policy term, which means the maturity of the Policy.
- The Policy serves as a dual purpose, which states that it not only works as an Insurance Policy but also serves as a Long-term Investment, with decent returns offer.
- The Endowment Policies come with tax benefits.
- In terms of investing, the Endowment Policies are quite safer than that of the other investments and offer returns which are close to those which are offered by the mutual funds.
- The Endowment Policies come with long-term savings.
- With an Endowment Policy, it provides an assured considerable amount after maturity.
- Most of the Endowment plans have the feature of extending will extend the Insurance coverage and promise the benefits after the maturity date. In some cases, the Life insured attains an age of 100.
- The Endowment Policies have the option of opting for additional riders which provide cover for specific illness, critical illness, disabilities etc.
How do the Endowment Policies Work
The Endowment Policies are not that different to that of the regular Insurance Policies. These Policies not only serve the Life Insurance but also help them save regularly for over a specific period of time. Once the Policy has been matured, the Policyholder will receive a lump sum maturity amount which can be utilized for meeting the financial needs like purchasing the property, children’s education, organizing a wedding or preparing for one’s retirement.
What is the need for the Endowment Policies
Plan before you invest in something. Go through the benefits, returns on the investment etc. must be compared against the other investments that help you to save on the tax, in addition, to give you huge returns. An Endowment Policy is far less risky than the mutual fund investment. It serves a dual benefit to a Policyholder that is, it provides tax saving investment with guaranteed returns at the end of the term and also provides a comprehensive Life Insurance cover.
Types of the Endowment Policies
There are three types of the Endowment Policies they are:
- Unit Linked Endowment- In this Endowment Policies, the Insurance premiums will be directed to the multiple units which are held under a specific investment fund which can be chosen by the Policyholders.
- Full Endowment- Under this Policy, the basic amount is ensured to be provided and will be equal to the death benefit, starting from the Policy.
- Low-Cost Endowment- This Endowment plan, has been introduced to provide accumulated funds which have to be paid after a specific period of time.
How to choose a correct Endowment Policy
Just like other Insurance plans, there are various types of Endowment Policies that are offered to the individuals. Individual needs, current Life stage, risk appetite are the few factors of the Endowment Policy. The premiums of the Endowment plans are pricier as compared to the term plans. Cost of the premium acts as a deciding factor. Besides that, there are some other factors that the Endowment Policy also provides such as the claim settlement ratio, financial status of the insurer etc. when choosing an Endowment Policy. Therefore, pick one which is simple and does not come with features and benefits which are difficult to comprehend and the details might get lost in the fine print.
The Documents that are required for an Endowment Policy:
- Fully filled application form/ Proposal form
- Recent passport size photograph
- Proof of Residence/ Address Proof
- Proof of Age
- Medical Reports (optional)
Endowment Policy Premium Calculator
With the help of an Endowment Policy premium calculator, you can receive the details like the Premium Amount, maturity value, surrender value, loan value and returns of the Policy. The Endowment Policy premium calculators will tell you to enter the information such as your age, Policy term and the amount of the sum assured. By the given information, the Endowment Policy premium calculator will compute the premium which you will require to pay toward the Endowment Policy.
Riders of the Endowment Policy
Most of the Endowment Policies, offer additional features to enhance the protection provided by the Policy. Some of the commonly available add-ons which are available with the Endowment Policies are:
- Critical illness
- Waiver of the premium
- Accidental death and dismemberment
- Accelerated sum assured
- Partial and permanent disability
- Hospital cash
Some of the Popular Endowment Plans in India
Reliance Endowment Plan
Lump sum assured plus bonuses available on maturity, subject to 100.1% of premiums.
- The death benefit of 10 times the annualized premium or base sum assured plus vested bonuses. Either that or 105% of all the premiums paid.
- Policy term from 10-25 years.
- Loan against the Policy is available.
LIC New Endowment Plan
Minimum assured sum of Rs 1, 00, 000.
- The death benefit no less than 105% of the total premiums paid.
- Death Benefit is higher of basic sum assured or 10 times the annualized premium.
- Accidental death and disability rider available.
A home is a place where one loves to live in. A home is something which is special to everyone on us. It is a place where one feels super comfortable. No money is better spent than what is invested in your home. Your home is one of the biggest and powerful investments that you would make it in your life and it is a bit natural that you would protect it. This is where the householder’s insurance will help you. They are like the angels that come from above to protect your shelter space. Thus, safeguarding your house from the unforced events becomes a priority and the best way through which it can be done is by securing the home with a Home Insurance.
A home insurance or Householder’s insurance is commonly defined as a type of Property Insurance that covers Private Homes security from different natural and unnatural cases like theft and robbery, fire attack damages of houses due to natural disasters like earth quake, cyclone etc.
It is a type of investment that you make for protecting your house from disasters and other causes. Insurance is meant to come in rescue in these types of calamity. It is a type of insurance policy that combines a variety of policies and liabilities that protects the houses.
Most of the home insurance policies include four essential types of coverage
- Coverage for the structure for your house
- Coverage for your personal belongings
- Liability Protection
- Additional living expenses if you are temporarily unable to live in your home because of an insured disaster.
The Structure of Your House
This type of policy helps to pay you to repair or reconstruct your home if it is damaged by fire, lightning, hurricane and other disasters listed in your policy. This policy will not pay for the damages like the earthquake, flood, disaster or routine wear, and tear.
When you purchase the structure of your House policy, make sure that you study the guidelines carefully. Make sure that you purchase enough of coverage to rebuild or reconstruct your home.
Some of the policies also cover the detached structures such as the garage, tool shed etc. This includes about 10 percent of the insurance on a home structure insurance policy.
Coverage for Your Personal Belongings
This policy covers up different products such as -furniture, clothes, sports items, utensils and other personal items that are destroyed or damaged by different insured disasters like fire, lightning, hurricanes etc. which are listed in your policy. This policy covers up around 50-70 percent of the insurance of the structure of the home. The best way to know that whether your policy envelops enough of coverage of home structure is to conduct a Home Inventory.
A home inventory ensures that homeowners are sufficiently prepared, in terms of their insurance coverage and deal with the potential Losses. A detailed list of all the items that are destroyed, damaged or stolen is required for an insurance claim. Proper paper documentation work ensures a faster and smoother claim process.
Insurance Institute of India offers a Home Inventory tool that lets you create, maintain a photo home inventory which you can save it in the cloud safely.
The personal coverage loans include the items stored off premises- this means that you are covered anywhere in the world. Some of the companies limit the amount to 10 percent of the amount of the insurance.
The Liability Protection Coverage Plan
This type of coverage insurance plan helps you to protect you and your family member is responsible for hurting or damaging someone else’s property. Like for an example- if someone slips from the staircase in your home and is injured, then the liability insurance can help you by providing with legal defense fees and in the event of settlement or judgment and can pay damages up to your coverage limit.
The liability coverage also pays for the damages caused by the pets. So if your son/daughter or your dog damages any property of your neighbor then you are covered.
Additional Living Expenses
This policy pays you additional costs of living away from home if you cannot live their due to certain damages caused by the natural and unnatural disasters. It includes your hotel bills, restaurant meals, and other usual living expenses. This coverage policy has certain limits like time limitation. You also have an option to increase the amount of ALE Coverage for an additional premium. This coverage insurance plan is different to that of the plans for the structure of the home. If you are renting a home, then the ALE Plan covers you for the rent that you have collected from your tenant if your home had not been destroyed.
Benefits of Home Insurance
The top most benefits of Home Insurance are
- Financial Protection– The Homeowners Insurance Policy provides money to rebuild or reconstruct your home if your house has suffered from any sort of disaster or to replace any lost property.
- Timely Recovery– The Home Insurance Policy helps the family to go through the rebuilding process quickly and help them to move on in their life. It also benefits families having psychological health, reducing stress and feeling loss.
- You can get a good policy at a low monthly premium rate.
- The Home Insurance policies can cut down your stress and tension level.
How to Choose a Home Insurance Plan Based on Your Requirements
There are different types of Home Insurance Plans available at various different prices and customised plans and offers and as per the individual needs. Below mentioned are some of the techniques that will ease down the method of choosing an insurance plan-
Check Premium and Coverage
At first, calculate a number of risks that your house faces or may about to face in the future. Like for an example- if you are staying near to the flood-prone area then you should ensure that your home insurance policy is covering these risks. Always check that whether your insurance policy plan fits in the shoes of the budget. You can also compare the premium policy plans as per your need.
Check claim settlement Ratio
A good company is surrounded by the time settling claims. The purpose of insurance might get deflated when you do not claim when it is required. Therefore, it is necessary to check the Claim settling record of the Companies before making an investment.
Before making an investment on any insurance plan do check the repo and the background of the company. Make sure that whether they have the offers and plans based on your need or not.
Covered Perils Offered by the Home Insurance Companies
The Home Insurance Policy offers coverage on the “Named Perils” and “Open Perils” basis. The named perils provide coverage for the loss that is mentioned on the list of policy. If it is not listed then it’s not covered. Whereas, the Open Perils provides coverage for all the losses except for those that are excluded specifically from the policy.
Some of them are as follows
Basic-Form covered Perils
These are the least comprehensive coverage plan. This provides the protection against the perils which is likely to get a result of total loss. If something happens to your home that’s not on the list below then you are not covered. The basic formed Perils include:
- Windstorm or Hail
- Aircraft or Vehicle Collision
Broad “Named Perils”
This includes the Basic form perils as well as other 6 additional covered perils. This is a named peril policy. This peril form is designed to cover most of the damaged caused to the property. The different types of Perils are-
- All basic form perils
- Burglary, Break-in damage
- falling objects (Breaking of tree branch)
- Weight of Ice and Snow
- Freezing and Plumbing
- Accidental Water Damage
- Artificial generated electricity
Special “all risk” Perils
These is the most inclusive form than the other two forms of perils. This policy covers all types of losses unless specifically excluded. The Special “all-risk” perils that are excluded-
- Ordinance of Law
- Power Failure
- Neglect War
- Nuclear Hazards etc.
For many homeowners, an Insurance is just a piece of paper that is signed and filed away. Home owner’s insurance is financial covenant, but it should also be treated as a living, breathing entity to be nurtured over time. Only by reading the policy carefully and considering a right agent and knowing about your coverage limits and choosing the offer plans and updating a Home Inventory can ensure your hard-earned money will keep that roof over your head strong and intact.
Keeping track of your LIC (Life Insurance Company) is important and paying a visit to the LIC office for the same every time is also very inconvenient. With our busy lives, we often tend to forget the premium payments, grace and period etc. Hence, it is required to keep a timely check on your policy status.
Earlier, subscribers had to visit the LIC branch or get in touch with an agent to know the status of your LIC Policy. And now, LIC has introduced various online and mobile services through which one can check policy or premium payment status. It is also suggestive to keep your policy number handy while making calls to the customer care or at the time of checking your status online.
How to Check Your LIC Policy Status Online
In order to smooth the transactions, LIC offers various online services. Its e-service helps the subscriber with every function that was once available only through the branches.
To start, subscribers are required to register a user account and fill in details of your policy to view the status. Read below to know how to register for the same:
Registration Process for New Users
In order to register for e-services is available on the LIC home page. In case you are first time user, then you will have to fill out the online registration form and choose your login credentials. In case you have successfully registered, you will receive a confirmation mail on your registered email ID. Click on the URL provided in the confirmation mail which will redirect you to a page where you can link your policy with the user account. In this page, enter the details of your policy such as policy number, premium amount, date of birth, etc., and click submit. In case of error-free information, then the status of the policy will be displayed instantly. And in case of incorrect information, you will receive an error message and subsequently a reminder of your email address.
Procedure to check Policy Status Online (for Registered Users)
With the online procedures, users can check the details of premium payments, group schemes, accrued bonuses etc by simply logging in to the LIC India Website.
Follow the below mentioned steps for the same:
- Open the LIC India website and click on Online Services option on the main page.
- This will redirect you to the login page where you should select the Registered User option.
- Now enter your username and password and click on go.
- This will open up a page listing out the policy tools for registered customers.
- Now from the mentioned options, select the option View Enrolled Policies.
- This will lead to a page which will display all the policies you have enrolled, along with enrollment date, premium amount, and vested bonuses.
- Now you can view the status of your policy by clicking on the policy number.
Procedure to check policy status without Online Registration
LIC also offers an SMS and phone service which is a convenient way as well as it does not require any internet or a smartphone.
To know the status of your policy through SMS; type ASKLIC followed by the function specific code and send it to 56767877 from your registered number.
For SMS codes refer to the below table:
|Type of Enquiry||SMS code|
|For installment premium||ASKLIC Premium|
|For revival amount||ASKLIC Revival|
|To know bonus additions||ASKLIC Bonus|
|To know the amount of loan available||ASKLIC Loan|
|For nomination details||ASKLIC NOM|
You can also check LIC Policy by calling on the dedicated helpline number:
- Helpline number for MTNL and BSNL users – 12151
- For calls from all other landline and mobile – Dial city code followed by 12151