Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana is an accident insurance scheme which is backed by the Government of India. The scheme was introduced by the Finance Minister, Arun Jaitley in 2015 budget speech. And it was formally launched by the Honourable Prime Minister Narender Modi, the same year.
According to sources, there’s one death in every 4 minutes due to a road accident in India. And as per World Health organization (WHO) report for the year 2010, India leads the world in the number of deaths caused by road accidents.
- 1 Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana (PMSBY)
- 2 List of Banks participating in Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana (PMSBY):
- 3 List of Insurance Companies Participating in Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana (PMSBY)
- 4 Features of Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana (PMSBY)
- 5 Benefits of Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana (PMSBY)
- 6 Eligibility Criteria of Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana (PMSBY)
- 7 How to Enrol in Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana
- 8 Toll – free Numbers
- 9 Claim Process of Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana (PMSBY)
- 10 Termination Clause of Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana
- 11 Highlights of Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana
Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana (PMSBY)
We are a country which offers astounding variety of class. Where the rich and middle class can afford to purchase accidental insurance whereas under privileged class find it difficult to purchase the accidental scheme as the premium payments are too high. Hence, the Government announced Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana which is one of three Social Security Schemes (the other two being Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana (PMSBY) and the Atal Pension Yojana – APY), in order to provide compensation to the deceased’s family.
The target mass of Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana (PMSBY) are mechanics, labourers, truck drivers which involves a lot of travelling. It offers one year accidental death and disability cover, which can be renewed annually. This is the most reasonable insurance cover. The scheme also covers both partial and permanent disability cover.
The scheme can be availed by those between the ages of 18 and 70 years with a bank account. The annual scheme is Rs.12 excluding the service tax. The premium amount is automatically debited from the bank account of the scheme holder. Rs.2 lakh is paid to the nominee if the subscriber dies in an accident or if he is fully disabled. If the subscriber meets with an accident and suffers partial permanent disability, then Rs.1 lakh is paid.
List of Banks participating in Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana (PMSBY):
- Allahabad Bank
- Axis Bank
- Bank of India
- Bank of Maharashtra
- Bharatiya Mahila Bank
- Canara Bank
- Central Bank
- Corporation Bank
- Dena Bank
- Federal Bank
- HDFC Bank
- ICICI Bank
- IDBI Bank
- IndusInd Bank
- Kerala Gramin Bank
- Kotak Bank
- Oriental Bank of Commerce
- Punjab and Sind Bank
- Punjab National Bank
- South Indian Bank
- State Bank of Hyderabad
- State Bank of India
- State Bank of Travancore
- Syndicate Bank
- UCO Bank
- Union Bank of India
- United Bank of India
- Vijaya Bank
To know the IFSC and MICR Code of these Banks and their Branches.
List of Insurance Companies Participating in Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana (PMSBY)
- Bajaj Allianz
- Cholamandalam MS
- ICICI Lombard
- National Insurance
- New India Assurance
- Reliance General Insurance
- United India Insurance
- Universal Sompo
Features of Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana (PMSBY)
- The Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana is an accidental cover which needs to be renewed every year.
- The annual premium of the insurance cover is Rs. 12 excluding the service tax which is charged at 14%.
- In case of policy holder’s unforeseen death or the subscriber is disabled due to an accident, the nominee will be entitled to Rs. 2 lakh by the cover.
- The premium is auto debited from the bank account of the subscriber.
- The subscriber can exit the scheme at any time and can sign-up at any time in the future.
|Age||18 – 70 Years|
|Bank Requirement||Saving Bank Account in Public Sector or Private Sector Bank|
|Insurance Premium||Rs. 12|
|Insured Amount||2 lac for death and Permanent disability and 1 lac for partial disability|
|How to pay premium||Auto debit from the saving bank account|
|Period of Insurance||1 Year (1st June to 31st May)|
|Know Your Customer (KYC)||Aadhaar Card|
Benefits of Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana (PMSBY)
- Under PMSBY the coverage premium is just Rs. 12.
- Benefits of death and permanent disability due to accidents are up to 2,00,000 (2 lacs)
- Benefits of partial disability are up to 1,00,000 (1 lacs)
- This scheme is open for all citizens of India, whether He is a taxpayer citizen or people below poverty line
- Policy holders under PMSBY are eligible to get tax befits under section 80 C.
Eligibility Criteria of Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana (PMSBY)
- The minimum age requirement is 18 years.
- The maximum age requirement is 70 years.
- Those having a savings bank account are eligible for PMSBY
- Bank account should be linked with Aadhaar card.(Check Aadhaar and Bank Account Link Status)
- In case of unforeseen death of the subscriber Rs. 2 lakh will be paid to the nominee
- In case of total and irrevocable loss of both eyes or loss of use of both hands or feet or loss of sight of one eye and loss of use f hand or foot, amount of Rs. 2,00,000 ( 2 lakh) will be paid to the beneficiary
- In case of total and irrecoverable loss of sight of one eye or loss of use of one hand or foot, amount of Rs. 1,00,000 (1 lakh) will be paid to the beneficiary.
How to Enrol in Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana
One can enrol purchase the policy both online and offline:
For online application one needs to have net banking. And fill a simple form and provide few details like nominee date, relation with nominee and give the consent for auto debit facility.
One can purchase the policy online as well by simply visiting the nearest bank branch and ask for Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana form. And have to provide few details in the form like nominee name, relation with nominee, his address, etc. and give the consent for auto debit facility.
Toll – free Numbers
One can also send a message through their registered mobile number to the toll free numbers of the banks and insurance companies participating in PMSBY.
|State||Convenor Bank||Toll Free number|
|West Bengal and Tripura||United Bank of India||1800-345-3343|
|Uttarakhand||State Bank of India||1800-180-4167|
|Uttar Pradesh||Bank of Baroda||1800-102-4455 or 1800-223-344|
|Tamil Nadu||Indian Overseas Bank||1800-425-4415|
|Telangana||State Bank of Hyderabad||1800-425-8933|
|Sikkim||State Bank of India||1800-345-3256|
|Rajasthan||Bank of Baroda||1800-180-6546|
|Punjab||Punjab National Bank||1800-180-1111|
|Nagaland||State Bank of India||1800-345-3708|
|Mizoram||State Bank of India||1800-345-3660|
|Meghalaya||State Bank of India||1800-345-3658|
|Manipur||State Bank of India||1800-345-3858|
|Maharashtra||Bank of Maharashtra||1800-102-2636|
|Madhya Pradesh||Central Bank of India||1800-233-4035|
|Jharkhand||Bank of India||1800-345-6576|
|Himachal Pradesh||UCO Bank||1800-180-8053|
|Haryana||Punjab National Bank||1800-180-1111|
|Goa||State Bank of India||1800-2333-202|
|Delhi||Oriental Bank of Commerce||1800-1800-124|
|Daman and Diu||Dena Bank||1800-225-885|
|Dadra and Nagar Haveli||Dena Bank||1800-225-885|
|Chhattisgarh||State Bank of India||1800-233-4358|
|Chandigarh||Punjab National Bank||1800-180-1111|
|Bihar||State Bank of India||1800-345-6195|
|Assam||State Bank of India||1800-345-3756|
|Arunachal Pradesh||State Bank of India||1800-345-3616|
|Andhra Pradesh||Andhra Bank||1800-425-8525|
|Andaman and Nicobar Island||State Bank of India||1800-345-4545|
Table Source: https://www.bankbazaar.com/health-insurance/pradhan-mantri-suraksha-bima-yojana.html
Claim Process of Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana (PMSBY)
- In case of death, nominee has to inform the branch of the policy holder within the 30 days of the event.
- Fill the claim form and along with death certificate, post mortem report and FIR report.
- Now bank will forward the documents to the insurer company for the claim process
- Once the verification is done, the policy company will transfer the claim amount to the nominee account within 30 days.
- If claim is rejected due to some reasons the insurance company will intimate the bank and the bank will intimate the nominee.
- In case of permanent disability and partial disability the policy holder has to submit the claim form along with disability certificate issued by civil surgeon. Other procedure will remain the same as above.
Termination Clause of Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana
- If the policy holder completes more than 70 years of age
- In case of savings bank account closes due to insufficient balance and the insurance amount cannot be debited.
- If policy holders purchase more than one policy from other accounts also
Highlights of Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana
- Eligibility – 18 to 70 years of age
- Premium – Rs. 12 per annum
- Payment Mode – Premium will be auto – debited directly to the bank account. Hence, savings bank account is a must to avail PMSBY
- Risk – Coverage –
- For accidental death or full disability Rs. 2 lakh will be provided
- For partial disability Rs. 1 lakh will be provided
- Who will implement this scheme? – Banks and Insurance Companies participating in Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana.
Note: [Read the list above to know banks and insurance companies participating in PMSBY].