Honourable Prime Minister of India Shri Narendra Modi launched Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana, earlier known as ‘Housing for All in 2015 and will continue until 2022. The mission of this scheme is to build 2 crore houses targeting all eligible poor families and beneficiaries across states and union territories.
PMAY is a Government flagship program for both urban and rural(Gramin) areas of the country.
Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana – Gramin (PMAY – G)
Housing is one of the basic requirements of a person. Owning a house provides economic and social security to a person. This scheme strives to provide pucca houses to all who are houseless and living in dilapidated houses in rural areas by 2022.
- PMAY – Gramin is under Ministry of Rural Development
- Aim – The scheme aims at providing environmentally safe and secure pucca houses to every rural house by 2022
- March 2019 is the target date set by the Government for completing at least 1 crore houses
- Delhi and Chandigarh is omitted from PMAY – Gramin
- The scheme will be implemented in rural areas across the country
- The unit cost has been increased by the Government to Rs. 1.5 lakh to Rs. 1.6 lakh for a household.
- Beneficiaries can avail a bank loan up to 70,000 under PMAY – G
Eligibility Criteria of Beneficiaries
The beneficiaries will be selected on the basis of The Socio Economic and Caste Census of 2011 (SECC 2011) to keep transparency and to ensure that the deserving receive the aid in housing
- Bank accounts are required to avail the scheme, as allocated funds will be transferred directly to the beneficiaries account to ensure transparency and accountability
- PMAY – Gramin makes an alliance of Skill India, Digital India, Make in India, Information Technology / Direct Benefit Transfer Aadhaar platform and Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana.
Labour Allocation and Labour Training
Under this scheme labour allocation will be done through “Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act” to build pucca houses. For this skill training will be given to 5 lakh rural masons by 2019.
- Over 200 different housing designs have been allowed based on a detailed study of housing typologies, environmental hazards, and the household’ requirements.
As the project is carried out by both Centre and State Governments, the project cost per unit will be shared between Central and State Government in 60:40 ratios. In case of hilly areas and north-eastern states, sharing will be 90:10 ratios.
Under the scheme, an additional expenditure of Rs. 21,975 crores will be there for providing pakka houses to the rural areas. The Government will borrow the amount from National Bank of Agricultural National Bank of Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD). This borrowed amount will be paid off after the budget allocation of 2022.
List of Automatic Exclusion Parameters
There are 13 automatic exclusion parameters based upon which the candidates from the original SECC data list will be removed
- Motorized two / three / four-wheeler / fishing boat
- Mechanized three / four-wheeler agricultural equipment
- Kisan Credit Card with a credit limit of Rs. 50,000 or above
- Household with any member as a Government Employee
- Households with non – agricultural enterprises registered with the Government
- Any member of the family earning more than Rs. 10,000 per month
- Paying income tax
- Paying professional tax
- Own 2.5 acres or more of irrigated land with at least one irrigation equipment
- 5 acres or more of irrigated land for two or more crop seasons
- Owning 2.5 acres of land or more with at least one irrigation equipment
Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana – Urban (PMAY – U)
Under Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana – Urban, the Government is aiming at 2 million non – slum urban poor household to be covered under the mission.
Eligibility Criteria of PMAY – Urban
- Preference is given to women in this scheme. No other demographics will be considered as long as they are women
- People belong to Low Income Group (LIG) or Economically Weaker Section (EWG) may also apply in this scheme
- Scheduled Caste and Scheduled Tribe are also eligible to avail the scheme
- Preferences will be given to Senior Citizens and Differently abled for the houses on the ground floor.
- The scheme will provide Central assistance to Urban Local Bodies (ULBs) and other implementing agencies to States / UTs for:
- In-situ Rehabilitation of existing slum dwellers using land as a resource through private participation
- Credit Linked Subsidy Scheme – Under this scheme, interest subsidy on purchase / construction / extension/ improvement of house is provided to customers belonging to Economical Weaker Section (EWS) / Lower Income Group (LIG) / Middle Income Group (MIG)
- Affordable Housing in Partnership
- Subsidy for beneficiary-led individual house construction/enhancement.
- Credit Linked Subsidy Scheme is a Central Sector Scheme, rest of the schemes are Centrally Sponsored Scheme (CSS)
- Under this mission, beneficiaries can take advantage of one component only.
- Credit Linked Subsidy will be provided to the eligible urban poor (Economical Weaker Section – EWS and Lower Income Group – LIG) for acquisition or construction of houses.
- Beneficiaries of Economically Weaker Section (EWS) and Low Income Group (LIG) seeking housing loans would be eligible for an interest subsidy at the rate of 6.5% for the tenure of 15 years.
- Credit Linked Subsidy will be available for the loan amount up to Rs. 6 lakhs
- The beneficiary, at his / her discretion, can build a house of larger area but interest subvention would be limited to first Rs. 6 lakhs only.