Last updated on November 17th, 2017 at 11:41 am
Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana is a Government initiative with the aim of “Housing for All 2022”, launched on 25th June 2015 by the Honourable Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi. PMAY is an effort to provide homes to the needy.
This scheme seeks to address the housing problem through the following broad programs
- Slum rehabilitation
- Provision of Credit – linked subsidy for the weaker section
- Provision of affordable housing by collaborating with public and private sectors
- Beneficiary-led house construction or enhancement
This mission of the scheme is to build 2 crore houses targeting all poor eligible families and beneficiaries across all states and union territories.
According to sources, slums or homeless populations are growing at 34% and are expected to reach 18 million in the near future. With the implementation of Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (PMAY), homes will be provided to nearly 20 million people.
- 1 Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (PMAY) Housing Scheme for All By 2022
- 2 Objective of Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (PMAY)
- 3 How to Apply for Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana
- 4 Documents Required for Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana
- 5 Beneficiary of Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (PMAY)
- 6 Eligibility Criteria of Low Income Group (LIG) and Economically Weaker Section (EWS) to Avail Housing for All 2022
- 7 Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (PMAY) – Gramin
- 8 Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (PMAY) – Urban
- 9 Highlights of Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (PMAY)
Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (PMAY) Housing Scheme for All By 2022
The aim of the program is to provide a home to nearly 20 million people belonging to the low-income families and underprivileged sections in the identified urban and semi – urban areas by 2022.
- Building the houses led by beneficiaries
- Reasonable housing via credit linked grant
- Slum Redevelopment with private sector participation using land as resource
- Affordable housing in association with private and government funding
Keeping the above components in mind, Government will be granting amount between INR 1 Lakh and INR 2.30 Lakhs based on the beneficiary’s eligibility.
Objective of Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (PMAY)
- The main objective of PMAY is to provide housing for all by 2022
- It intends to provide houses to specific sections of the society such as economically challenged groups, women along with people belonging to minorities such as Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes.
- The government also intends to provide these houses to some of the most ignored demographics such as widow, transgender, lower income group members.
- Special preference will be given to differently abled and senior citizens if required.
How to Apply for Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana
To apply for Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana read below:
- Visit the official website of PMAY http://pmaymis.gov.in/
- Select the “citizen assessment” option
- Enter Aadhaar Card Number
- This will direct you to the application page
- Download the application form and take a print out of the page
- Submit the form at your nearest CSC office centers and financial institution/banks along with the required documents.
Documents Required for Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana
- Know Your Customer (KYC) Documents & Photograph for all applicants.
- Aadhaar is mandatory for all applicants.
- For Salaried: Salary slip or Certificate & updated bank statement
For Self Employed: Income Tax Returns with other financial of last two years and bank statement.
- For identification as EWS or LIG beneficiary under the scheme, an individual loan applicant will submit self-certificate / affidavit as proof of income.
- Customer declaration undertaking
- Additional Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (PMAY) application form.
Beneficiary of Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (PMAY)
- A family that includes husband and wife along with children who are yet to be married
- The beneficiary should not own a house to avail this scheme
- Beneficiary should meet the income requirement of the scheme
- The income requirement for economically weaker sections consists of families with a yearly income of less than 3 lakhs.
- The income requirement for lower income groups (LIGs) consists of people who belong to annual income group of Rs. 3 lakhs
Eligibility Criteria of Low Income Group (LIG) and Economically Weaker Section (EWS) to Avail Housing for All 2022
|Annual Income Between Rs. 3 lakhs and Rs. 6 lakhs||Annual Income less than 3 lakh|
|Interest rate for subsidy 6.5%||Interest rate for subsidy 6.5%|
|Dwelling unit carpet area up to 60 sq Mt.||Dwelling unit carpet area up to 30 sq Mt.|
|Loan tenure 20 years||Loan tenure 20 years|
Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (PMAY) – Gramin
Under Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana – Gramin, the Government has increased the overall number of housing units to be constructed by 1 crore under the PMAY – G.
The beneficiaries will be selected on the basis of The Socio Economic and Caste Census of 2011 (SECC 2011).
The Gramin Panchayats and Tehsils will be considered to contemplate on the beneficiary list to keep transparency and to ensure that the deserving receive the aid in housing.
Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (PMAY) – Urban
Under Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana – Urban, the Government is aiming 2 million non – slum urban poor household to be covered under the Mission.
The scheme is coming into being during 2015 – 2022 and provides central assistance to Urban Local Bodies (ULBs) and other implementing agencies through states / UTs.
- In-situ Rehabilitation of existing slum dwellers using land as a resource through private participation
- Credit Linked Subsidy
- Affordable Housing in Partnership
- Subsidy for beneficiary-led individual house construction/enhancement.
Highlights of Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (PMAY)
|Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana|
|Objective||Affordable Housing for All|
|Target Group||Economically weaker sections & Low-income groups (LIG)|
|Date of Launch||June 25th, 2015|
|Subsidy Range||Between Rs.1 lakh and Rs.2.30 lakh|
|Eligibility criteria||Age – 70 years or lesser
Income range – less than Rs.3 lakh for economically weaker sections & between Rs.3 to 6 lakh for lower income groups
As of 2016, Government has identified 2,508 cities and towns in 26 states for beginning construction of houses for urban poor.
- Chhattisgarh – 1000 cities/towns
- Gujarat – 30 cities/towns
- Jammu and Kashmir – 19 cities/towns
- Jharkhand – 15 cities/towns
- Kerala – 15 cities/towns
- Madhya Pradesh – 74 cities/towns
- Odisha – 42 cities/towns
The Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (PMAY) has expanded its scope to cater to the housing needs of the mid-income group, besides the economically weaker sections (EWS) and low-income group (LIG).
Also, presently, the carpet area of MIG I is 90 sq m i.e. 968.752 sq ft which will be increased to 120 sq m i.e. 1291.668 sq ft. And for MIG II category the carpet area would be 150 sq m i.e. 1614.585 sq ft instead of 110 sq mt 1184.03 sq ft, as decided by the government. And these changes will be implemented from January 1st 2017.