Last updated on November 24th, 2017 at 07:42 pm
The Aadhaar is 12 digit unique number that is issued by UIDAI (Unique Identification Authority of India). It is an all in one document comprising of the identity details, address details as well as biometric details of an individual. The government has recently made it compulsory to link Aadhaar with the bank account.
In accordance with the government’s orders and guidelines, Karnataka bank has also been sending messages and email to their customers to link their account with their Aadhaar card and also warning them of the consequences if the same is not done.
Karnataka bank was established on 23 May 1924 in the city of Mangalore. Today it stands as one of the major banks in India. It has a network of more than 750 branches and 1300 ATMs and a base of 8000 employees and 8. 2 million customers all across the country. The bank has been designated as an A1+ class scheduled commercial bank by the Reserve Bank of India.
According to the government orders, all bank accounts which are not linked with their Aadhaar card will be rendered inactive after 31 December. There are two ways of linking Aadhaar with the bank account, that is, either online via the online portal or offline by visiting the bank branch. The details by which Aadhaar is linked via both the process is given below:
In order to link online, the account holder must be registered in the online portal first. In case a person is already registered the following steps must be taken to link the Aadhaar card with the bank account:
- Go to the official website of Karnataka Bank: www.karnatakabank.com
- Log in to your account using your user id and password.
- Select the tab “customer services” and then click on “update Aadhaar number option”.
- After this enter the Aadhaar number and click on “submit”.
- After successful submission, the bank account will be automatically linked to the Aadhaar card and a confirmation SMS or e-mail about the same will be sent the registered mobile number or e-mail address.
In order to link Aadhaar with the Karnataka bank account offline, one must carry a copy and the original Aadhaar card and bank’s passbook. The steps must be taken in the linking process:
- Visit the nearest branch of the Karnataka bank.
- Fill the Aadhaar-bank account seeding form which is available in all the bank branch.
- After completing the form submit it to the bank authorities.
- The bank authorities may ask for the documents for verification.
- Once the verification is done it will be returned back to the account holder.
- After successful verification, the bank’s authorities will link the account with the Aadhaar card.
- Once the linking process is completed a confirmation SMS or e-mail about the same will be sent to the registered mobile number or e-mail id.
- Aadhaar has been made mandatory to avail payments of government schemes like MEGA etc. This step is taken to track down the poor section of the society which is actually in need of government support. The payments of any government schemes will be directly be sent to the beneficiary’s bank account.
- Aadhaar card is also a mandatory KYC document if a person wants to open a bank account, while making big transactions, for tax returns etc.
- Further, students in higher educational institutions can avail their scholarship money only if their accounts are linked with Aadhaar card.
- Government subsidies on day to day groceries like sugar, rice, LPG et can be availed only if the beneficiary links the Aadhaar with their bank account.
If you have already linked your Aadhaar Card with the Karnataka Bank Account, Visit here to know how to check the Aadhaar and Bank Account link status.