Passport is one of the most prized possession in one’s life. It’s a document provided by the Government of the country to its citizens for international travel and identification. It can also be used for the verification of one’s country of citizenship. Even a newborn/infant is eligible to get a Passport, following is the process of applying for Passport for Newborns/Infants
In India, this document can be acquired by the citizens of the country either online or from the Passport Seva Kendra (PSK) present throughout the country.
Follow these steps to get a passport for Newborn and Infants
- Parents of the minor must register an account with the Passport Seva Kendra (PSK)
- For minors, an appointment is required for the family to visit the PSK during working hours along with the receipt of the application
- Once the required documents are submitted with correct details, the applicants will get a token number by the authority, and wait till their turn comes up
- In their turn, the application will be verified and scanned into system
- Once the documentation is completed candidates will be provided with an acknowledgement receipt post which the Passport will be sent to the applicants address after a period of 4-7 days.
Documents Required to Apply for Passport for Newborn and Infants
According to the official website of Consular Section of Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India, following are the documents which need to be submitted when applying for passport for a newborn.
Proof of Present Address (Mandatory)
- Water Bill
- Telephone (Landline or post paid mobile number)
- Electricity Bill
- Income tax Assessment Order
- Election Commission Photo ID Card
- Proof of Gas Connection
- Certificate from Employer of Reputed Companies on letter head
- Spouse’s Passport copy (First and last page including family details), (provided the applicant’s present address matches the address mentioned in the spouse’s passport)
- Parent’s passport copy, in case of minors(First and last page)
- Aadhaar Card
- Registered Rent Agreement
- Photo Passbook of running Bank Account (Scheduled Public Sector Banks, Scheduled Private Sector Indian Banks, and Regional Rural Banks only)
Proof of Date of Birth (Mandatory)
- Birth Certificate issued by the Registrar of Births and Deaths or the Municipal Corporation or any other prescribed authority, whosoever has been empowered under the Registration of Birth and Deaths Act, 1969 to register the birth of a child born in India
- Transfer/School leaving/Matriculation Certificate issued by the school last attended/ recognised educational board
- Policy Bond issued by the Public Life Insurance Corporations / Companies having the DOB of the holder of the insurance policy
- Copy of an extract of the service record of the applicant (only in respect of Government servants) or the Pay Pension Order (in respect of retired Government Servants), duly attested/certified by the officer/in-charge of the Administration of the concerned Ministry/Department of the applicant
- Aadhaar Card/E-Aadhaar
- Election Photo Identity Card (EPIC) issued by the Election Commission of India
- PAN Card issued by the Income Tax Department
- Driving License issued by the Transport department of concerned state Government
- A declaration was given by the Head of the Orphanage/Child Care Home on their official letter head of the organization confirming the DOB of the applicant
A Declaration affirming the particulars furnished in the application about the minor as per Annexure ‘D’ (Mandatory)
- It is advised to carry original and self-attested copies of parents passport to Passport Seva Kendra (PSK), in case parents possess a passport.
- For minor applicants, documents can be attested by parents.