Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) has made the linkage of Aadhaar with mobile phone easy by providing OTP (One Time Password) system for the citizens. This particular move will be really helpful to everyone, especially senior citizens and differently abled, who are no more required to visit the service provider’s office and provide fingerprints to complete the linkage process as they can do so from the comfort of their homes.
UIDAI who administers Aadhaar card has issued a fresh directive for generating an OTP (One Time Password) either through the service provider’s website or through its IVR (Interactive Voice Response) services to facilitate the linking, also known as re-verification.
A UIDAI official said
#DigitalIdentity service made easy | @UIDAI (Aadhaar) has issued directives for generating OTP either through the service provider’s website or through the Interactive Voice Response (IVR) services to facilitate the linking, also known as re-verification. pic.twitter.com/RWuovxnOt3
— Digital India (@_DigitalIndia) January 2, 2018
However, the new method requires a user to have their mobile number registered with Aadhaar, else they would have to first update the mobile number in the Aadhaar records by going to the Aadhaar updation centre; either post offices or government offices.
If a user wishes they can also re-verify their mobile number on the official webpage of the service provider, for which the service provider will provide an OTP.
TO complete the procedure, when users will enter the OTP, they will receive a consent message displayed on the web page. After that, the users will have to provide Aadhaar number after checking the consent box.
Also, UIDAI has notified that the service providers are required to ensure that they have internal robust security measures in order to protect the Aadhaar information.
How to link Aadhaar with your Mobile Number through OTP?
Service providers such as Bharti Airtel, Vodafone India and Idea Cellular offer a toll – free number that enables their customers to re-verify their Aadhaar number via an IVRS (Interactive Voice Response).
Follow the Below steps to link Aadhaar with your Mobile Number
- Give a missed call to the mentioned number i.e. 14546
- When you give a missed call a recorded voice will ask you to choose your preferred language.
- And you will be asked to keep your Aadhaar number and keep your registered mobile number handy where you will receive your OTP.
- In case your Aadhaar card or your registered mobile number is from a different state , you are required to visit your service provider before 31st March 2018.
- And to proceed further you will have to select whether you are an Indian national or a foreign national
- In case you are an Indian National, you will have to press the required number
- And give your consent to verify your mobile number and authenticate your demographics to UIDAI under Aadhaar Act 2016.
- Now provide your 12 digit Aadhaar number and follow the instructions given to you over the phone in order to complete the procedure.
Government of India, have mandated linking 12 digits Unique Identification Card with mobile phone numbers in order to weed out fake mobile subscribers and to further strengthen the authenticity of Aadhaar as an important document for e – KYC (Know Your Customer).