Income Tax Return is the income tax return which you need to file when you have income, depending on the slab range stated by the Government of India. It stores the complete data about the incomes and the investment of a person in a certain fiscal year. For filing an ITR online you need to e-file it online.
What is an e-filing?
The process of electronically filing the income tax return using the internet is known as e-filing. It is a mandatory process for all the companies and firms and individuals requiring the statutory audit and submits the income tax return for the Annual Year 2017-18. The e-filing procedure is possible with or without the digital signature.
Filing an income tax return online can help the person fill all the following relevant information online and can submit the form online itself.
This step by step guide will help you file your ITR quite easily
- Gather All the Information and Documents
Before starting filing an income tax return, make sure you keep all your documents, papers and identity card information ready. This will shorten out your time and will not keep you in a mess. The documents that you need while filing an ITR are
- PAN Card- Permanent Accountant Number (PAN) is a ten-digit alphanumeric number, issued in the form of a laminated card, by the Income Tax Department. A typical PAN is AABPS1205E.
- Form 16 received from your employer- Form 16 is only applicable for the service employers. If you are a salaried person and your employer has deducted TDS on your salary, then he/she will issue you a Form 16. Form 16 shows the salary earned by an employee during the year, deductions and tax deducted or TDS on your salary during the year. This is known as the TDS Certificate.
- Form 16A received from Banks- It is the TDS Certificate showing the tax deducted at source by other deductions such as the bank’s other institutions on the interest/commission that you have earned this year.
- Form 26AS- It is the tax deducted and deposited on your behalf by your deductors. It is provided by the Income Tax Department. It shows you the total tax paid against the PAN during a financial year. you can download this form by logging in to your Income Tax E-filing Account.
- All Your Bank Statements
- Property Details
- Home Loan Certificates
- Business/Professional Income Details
- Self-Assessment Challan/ Advance Tax Challan
- Investment Proofs
- Now visit the e-filing website – www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in
- If you are a first-time user and you are filing it for the first time then click on the “New Registration tab” and register yourself by providing the relevant information about yourself and create your personal username and password. Make sure that when you are creating your user-id you must have your e-mail id and mobile number active.
- After the registration, an active link is provided. After clicking on the activation link, you are given a one-time password (OTP), where you have provided the OTP which has been sent to your mobile number.
- Click on the registered user if you have registered yourself already on the website. If you have any issues or problem related to the registration process you can contact the customer helpline number.
- Now click on the login tab and provide the required details like- your User ID, your PAN details, date of birth, and the captcha code was given. Then click on the login button to get signed in.
- After logging in, your account dashboard appears on the screen. Click on the “e-file tab” and select “Prepare and submit ITR online” option.
- Now select the relevant form and the assessment year for which the ITR must be filed. Here the taxpayer can fill in the address from the PAN database or add a new address. Here the income tax department asks you whether you want to digitally sign your return. If you select the “Yes” option then you need to upload your digital signature which needs to be pre-registered at the income tax official website.
- Now click on the submit button, and the website will redirect you to the page for filling to the form selected by you. Before starting e-filing the ITR form, one should read the General Instructions given at the start of the form.
- After that, you will be given to fill in the required information in different tabs, like the General Information, Income Details, Tax details, taxes paid in the ITR form. Make sure the tax payable shown in the online form matches the information and calculations given by you.
- Before submitting final, you need to save the data you have provided earlier and recheck it to avoid any mistakes. Once “Preview and Submit button is chosen your form will appear on the screen allowing you a preview of your ITR form before the final submission is made.
- Once the submit button is clicked your ITR will be uploaded and you will be asked to verify your return using any of the options available.
- If you have already added your digital signature, you will be asked to upload the same signature while submitting your ITR at the final step. Once it is upload and the final submission is made then your ITR filing process is completed and no further verification is required. You don’t have to send an acknowledgment/ITR-V to the CPC Bangalore.
- If you haven’t uploaded any digital signature while filing an ITR then you can verify your return either electronically using Aadhaar OTP or by sending a signed-printout of the ITR-V sent to CPC Bangalore within 120 days from the date of e-filing.
- An acknowledgment/ITR-V is sent on your registered e-mail ID once you have successfully uploaded. This acknowledgment pops out on your account on the e-filing website from where you can download if it is required.
- Now the department will process your ITR once you verify it. After your ITR is processed you will be intimated about the email via email and SMS on your registered mobile number.
So, you can now easily file your Income Tax Return (ITR) without any complication.
provide links to previous income tax post once published.