Passport is an official document issued by the Indian Government to every citizen of the country. It also considered being a valid proof of address and identity as it contains information such as holder’s name, date of birth, address, signature and photograph.
There are instances where an individual is required to change certain details in his document. In this article, we will discuss the ways to delete the name of the spouse from your passport.
Procedure to remove spouse name in Indian Passport
The reason to remove spouse name in Indian Passport could be if they have expired or they are separated legally.
- Visit the official website of the passport seva and acquire form 002 which is meant for ‘miscellaneous services’ and fill it properly. In case you are downloading it online, you will have to choose the option titles, ‘reissue of passport’ and after that select the option ‘change in existing personal particular’ and then choose ‘spouse name’ and then select ‘change in existing personal particulars’
- Also you are required to keep the below mentioned documents handy as they are needed to proceed with the procedure:
- Original passport with a self – attested photocopy of the first and last two pages,
- Copy of death certificate of spouse (in case of death),
- In case of removing the name from the passport due to legal separation, then the passport holder is required to provide a certified copy of the divorce decree and sworn Affidavit / Deed Poll (Annexure ‘E’).
- An appointment is required to visit the passport office for the procedure and also the applicants are required to arrive on time on the said day along with the required fee, documents and application form.
- Also the applicants who have taken appointment online are required to procure a token to wait.
- Now the applicants are required to submit the above mentioned documents either personally or through a representative with identity proof and an authority letter that has been signed by the applicant as per the Annexure.
- Once the documents have been submitted and verified, individuals can collect the endorsed passport with the updated details.