There can be a number of reasons for which a person might want to change his or her name mentioned in the EPF account and there are thousands of such cases every year where a person wants his or her name changed. For instance, there can be a situation when the name gets misspelled in the EPF account like for instance when a person changes his or her job mistakes may take place while transferring the PF account from the old to the new organisation, or when a girl changes her surname after marriage, there can be a mismatch between the current name and the name mentioned in the EPF account, or if the name is misspelled in the documents provided by the account holder for verification while opening.
In any case, if a person observes that his or her name is not mentioned correctly then the person should make the effort to change it as soon as possible. This is because any sort of wrong details in the EPF database can put a person’s entire EPF amount in danger.
A detailed account on how to change the name in the EPF account on the basis of a circular provided by the EPFO on 2 December 2013 is mentioned below.
Documents Required For Name Change of EPF Account
According to the circular provided by the EPFO the following documents are required for the change in account holder’s name or the name of his or her spouse:
- PAN Card
- Voter’s Identity Card
- Driving license
- ESIC identity card
- Aadhaar card
- Copy of Bank passbook
- Ration card
- Any qualification certificate (school or graduation)
- Birth certificate
- Certificate (if any)of service in any Central or state government organization
- Copy of electricity, water or telephone bill
- Letter from a public servant or any recognizes authority verifying the identity of the account holder.
Steps to Change Name of EPF Account Offline
The request for the change in name should be done by a joint request by both the employer as well as the employee. The following steps should be taken in order to change the name offline:
- The EPF name correction form must be filled and it must be approved by the Regional Provident Fund Commissioner.
- The form comprises of all the information and all the details must be filled which requires corrections in the appropriate box mentioned for it.
- After completing the form it must be self-attested by the account holder along with his or her name. Further, the form must also be attested by the previous or current employer along with organization stamp.
- After completing the entire procedure, the DA will make the changes/correction in his or her computer. The correction made by the DA will, in turn, be cross-checked by the SS(accounts).
Steps to Change Name of EPF Account Online
In order to change the name online, one should first register on the website. The following steps need to take in order to change the online:
- Visit the official website of EPFO UAN portal: https://unifiedportal-mem.epfindia.gov.in/memberinterface/
- Click on “Profile” and then log in using your username and password.(In case the account holder does not remember the password then he or she will have to go the online help desk and make an online request for the same)
- The EPFO member portal allows making various changes related to EPF account. After successfully logging in the member portal he or she will be redirected to a page in which the member is required to fill in all the changes that he or she wants to make.