A Passport is an Official document that is issued by the Indian Government. The Passport certifies a holder’s identity and citizenship and allows them to travel anywhere under its protection. In this way, the Passport is used as a Travel Document. The Passport also serves as an Identity Proof and Address proof and can be used in many cases such as while buying a house or taking a loan.
Applying for a passport is a long process as it includes paying frequent visits to the Regional Passport Office (RPO). Therefore, to make simple the Ministry of External Affairs has introduced an online application process so that it can be easy and convenient to use.
Online Method of Applying for a Passport in Kolkata
The Passports applicants of Kolkata can follow the below steps to apply for an online passport
- Visit the Passport Seva Official Portal.
- Click on the “Register Now” link present on the homepage.
- Sign up and Log in to the Passport Seva Online portal using the login credentials.
- Click on “Apply for fresh passport/re-issue of the Passport” link on the page.
- Enter the required details asked in the online application form and submit it.
- Go to the “View saved/submitted applications” tab and book an appointment for the PSK Office (Passport Seva Kendra) or Passport Office.
- Make the payment to complete the appointment booking. The payment can be done online as well as Offline. Payment can be done through (debit/credit cards, internet banking or State Bank of India Challan).
- Print the application receipt, the receipt includes the application reference number and appointment number.
- Visit the Passport Seva Kendra/ Passport Office with the application receipt and all the required documents.
Offline Method of Applying for a Passport in Kolkata
The Passport Seva Kendra are the service centers for the Passport and its related issues. Here the applicants can submit their documents and complete the additional formalities.
Generally, a fresh Passport cannot be filed in the PSK without an appointment until and unless it is an urgent case or Tatkal passport, or the applicant is a handicapped, minor or a senior citizen.
All the other applicants are requested to schedule an appointment and visit the Passport Seva Kendra on the appointed date.
Step by step procedure to apply for a Passport in Kolkata
- Buy an application form from the Passport Office or download it from the Passport website.
- Now submit the filled in application form along with the supporting documents in the Passport Office.
- A file number is generated or issued after the submission of the application form and the documents.
- Pay the mentioned processing fee, after that the application will be processed.
- You can track the application form on the Passport website by mentioning the file number.
- After the successful verification and processing, the applicant is then notified and can collect the passport in person.