A Passport is an Official document issued by the Government of India. It certifies a holder’s identity as well as citizenship. The document allows traveling anywhere around the world under its protection. In this way, the Passport is used as a Travel document. Similarly, the Passport serves as an Identity Proof as well as Address proof for the citizens.
Applying for a Passport is a long process and recently, the Ministry of External Affairs has introduced an online method to apply for the Passport.
The Residents of Delhi can apply for a Passport in both ways either Online or Offline. In this article, we will be providing you the information regarding the methods to apply for a Passport in Delhi.
Online Method of Applying for a Passport in Delhi
Step by step procedure of applying for a Passport online in Delhi:
- Visit the official Passport Seva website run by the Ministry of the External Affairs.
- Register on the site.
- Login to the site, and click on the “Apply for a Fresh Passport/Re-issue of the Passport” present on the homepage of the site
- Complete the online form and submit.
- After the submission of the form, go to the View Saved/ Submitted Applications tab and select the “Pay and Schedule Appointment” link.
- Make the processing payment. The payment can be done either online or offline (through debit/credit card, internet banking or SBI Challan).
- Click on the “Print Application Receipt” link after booking an appointment and then print a copy of the receipt which contains the application reference number.
- On the date of appointment, visit the Passport Seva Kendra (PSK) or Regional Passport Office (RPO) and submit the required documents mentioned along with the application receipt.
- After the completion of the Verification process, the passport can be collected as in a person.
Offline Mode of Applying for a Passport in Delhi
If you are not acquainted with the online process, then you can opt for the offline process as well. In the offline process, the passport application is done through the Passport Seva Kendra or the Regional Passport Office.
Step by step procedure to apply for a passport offline is as follows:
- Buy an application form from the Regional Passport Office or a Passport Seva Kendra. You can also download it from the Passport Seva Website.
- Now fill in the application form with the required details and submit it to the RPO along with the required documents and processing fee.
- A file number is issued as an acknowledgment receipt of the application. This acknowledgment receipt can be used to track down the application through the Passport Seva Website.
- Once you are done with the verification process, the passport can be collected from the RPO in person.
The procedure for applying for a passport is similar to that of the above. Visiting a PSK, with an appointment is made to submit the documents and pay the application fee.
The walk-in applicants are considered if they fall under the following categories:
- Senior Citizens
- Tatkal cases or Urgent Issues or
- Handicapped applicants.
These passport application procedures are applicable for a new passport as well as in the re-issue of an expired passport.