The GSTIN is otherwise called as the GST Identification Number. All the business entities registering under GST are provided with a unique identification number called as GSTIN. This number is similar to that of the existing TIN Number that is the Tax Identification Number. This is a single type registration number for everyone who falls under the GST regime. People can apply for the GST registration in form GST REG-06 for the principal face of the business that is available on a common portal. This registration is valid for all the places of business in the state.
Format of GSTIN
The Goods and Service Tax Identification Number is based on the following format:
- First two character of the State Code
- Next Ten Characters of the PAN or the Tax Deductions or the Collection Account Number.
- Next two characters for the entity code
- The last digit denotes the sum of all the characters
Like for an Example:
22 AAAAA0000A 1 Z 5
This is the official format of a GSTIN. The 22 represents the State Code as per the Indian Census 2011. The AAAAA0000A represents the PAN number of the applicant. 1 is the Entity Number of the same identity of the PAN Holder in a state. The alphabet “Z” is set by default. Whereas, the number 5 is the sum of all the number characters (2+2+1=5).
How To Apply For GSTIN
This is a part of a GST registration process. The Government allots a 15 digit GSTIN Number. All you have to do is go to the official website of www.gst.gov.in
There are two ways to register for GST
- via an online portal
- via GST Seva Kendra set up by the Government of India.
Once the GST is approved by the GST officer, a unique GSTIN is allocated to the dealer.
Documents Required to Apply for a GSTIN
The following are the details for applying a GST:
- Valid Permanent Number (PAN)
- Valid Indian Mobile Phone Number
- Valid email Address
- Prescribed Documents and information on all the mandatory fields of Registration Application.
- Place of Business
- An authorized signature of the resident of India with valid details including the PAN.
- At least one proprietor/Partner/Trustee/Director/Karta/Member with Corresponding PAN.
- IFSC Code of the same bank and branch.
- Valid Bank Account Number from India.
- Jurisdiction details.
Cost Of Applying and Validity
The cost for obtaining a GST and GSTIN is free. The GST registration for the regular tax payers do not have any expiry date and is valid until it is surrendered and canceled. The GST registration for the non-residential tax payer and casual taxable persons are valid until the date is mentioned in the certificate.
How To Check A GST Application Status
If you have applied for a GST registration then it normally takes 7 working days to generate a provisional GST Identification Number and it requires 10 days to obtain the final GST Identification Number along with the GST Registration Number.
- Go to the GST Portal: www.gst.gov.in
- When you visit the GST Portal click on the services-registration- Track Application Status
- A box is displayed requesting you to enter the ARN Number.
- Enter the ARN number of the GST registration application in the place provided and enter the Captcha.
- After providing the ARN number, the information about the GST registration application status is displayed below.
- If the GST registration application is approved then the approved message status will be displayed next to the status information.
Being a registered GST dealer, it is important to verify the GST Identification Number before entering it into the GST Returns. The GST Portal enables the businesses to verify the GSTIN.
Step By Step Procedure To Verify GST Identification Number:
- Visit the GST Portal. Login to the GST Portal.
- Enter the login Username and Password provided during the registration.
- After logging in, a page appears where an option of Search Tax Payer is displayed on the menu bar. In the drop down go to search by GSTIN/ UIN.
- Now enter the GSTIN or the GST Number of the dealer and Click on Search.
- If the GSTIN is correct then you will get all the details and information regarding the dealers, whereas, if your GST Identification Number is wrong then an error message will be shown on the screen. In this case, you will have to contact the vendor and get your GST Identification Number corrected.
If the GST is correct, then these are the following details that are displayed on the screen:
- Legal Name of the Business
- The State of the applicant.
- Date of registration- It is the date when you have applied for the GST, i.e GST Registration date.
- Construction of the Business- Company, Sole Proprietor or Partnership.
- Type of Tax Payer- A regular tax payer or a composition dealer.