Last updated on November 4th, 2017 at 04:18 pm
India is one of the largest democratic countries in the world. The principle of the democracy denotes – “For the people, of the people and by the people“. The process of Voting in elections is essential for a democratic country. The elections are a way where the citizens of the country choose the ruling person and to assert their opinions. This is not only the privilege of the citizens but also is their responsibility to cast their vote in an election that is held in the constituency.
But it has been seen that there are many impostors and swindlers who take the advantage of the Voter’s ignorance and engage in vote rigging. Therefore, the Government of India came up with this idea of providing separate Voter identity cards for the voters in the year 1993 and since then, the Voter ID cards have been issued to all the eligible voters.
Delhi, which is known to be the democratic capital of India, the elections are conducted in accordance with the Constitution. All the eligible candidates can apply for the new Voter ID Card in Delhi. The Chief Electoral Officer has introduced an Online Portal where one can perform many activities such as apply for a Voter ID, Status check and Making corrections and lot more.
- 1 How to apply for a Voter ID Card in Delhi
- 2 How to track Status of Voter ID Card in Delhi
- 3 How to apply for a Duplicate Voter ID Card in Delhi
- 4 How to make corrections in Voter ID Card in Delhi
- 5 How to Change the Address in Voter ID Card in Delhi
How to apply for a Voter ID Card in Delhi
Due to the introduction of the online portal, applying for a Voter ID has become very easy and hassle-free. The first time users who wish to enroll their names in the electoral list can easily do it by signing up or registering themselves and submitting the application form. You can apply for a Voter ID Card in Delhi in two ways – Online and Offline Mode
Below are the steps to follow to easily apply for a Voter ID card in Delhi:
Online Mode of applying for a Voter ID Card in Delhi
- Visit the official website of the Chief Electoral Officer of Delhi: ceodelhi.nic.in. When you reach the homepage if you are a first time user or applicant then you can easily register yourself.
- For the registration process, you have to you have to enter the details like name, address, and phone number.
- After the successful registration, log in using the credentials. The credentials are given after the registration process.
- After logging in, you will be landed to a page, where you have to choose the following option- “Apply for the inclusion of name in Voter list using Form-6 online”.
- In the Form – 6, you have to enter the area, locality or the Assembly constituency number. Once it is completed you have entered the other general details such as name, surname, date of birth, and place of birth, address including taluka and district and information about the other family members whose name is already there in the electoral roll.
- The first time users have to select the option that their name has not been included in the electoral roll of the assembly.
- Those who are applying for a change of address to another Assembly constituency or for the Voters who already have a Voter ID, but their name has not been updated in the electoral roll must select the option accordingly.
- An OTP will be sent to your registered mobile number and after you enter the OTP, you can preview the form and submit it.
- Once you submit the form, you need to attach the required supporting documents like the address proof. Identity proof, and photographs.
- After the review of the application, the Booth Level Officers (BLOs) will visit your residence and tally the documents and the information that you have submitted.
- Once they validate all your information, they move to the next level. Once all the procedures are completed and the Booth level officers give a green signal to the application of the Voter ID, the Voter ID will be sent to your following address.
Offline Mode of applying for a Voter ID Card in Delhi
Below are the steps to apply for the Voter ID Card in Delhi
- Take the Form 6 (you can either download the form from the Chief Electoral Officer or get a copy of the form from the Voter’s Registration and EPIC Center of your Assembly Constituency.
- Fill in the form completely with correct details and stick one passport size photo in the provided space.
- Attach age proof and residence proof.
- Now send the form along with the supporting documents via post to VREC (Voter’s Registration and EPIC Centre) of your Assembly Constituency.
- You can also submit the documents by visiting the VREC and deliver the documents in person.
- You can also submit your documents to the Booth Level Officers (BLO’s) after which they will verify the documents and the application form.
- Then after the verification, the Voter ID is sent to your residence.
How to track Status of Voter ID Card in Delhi
Tracking Voter ID Status in Delhi online
- You can check your Voter ID Status by providing your Application ID number.
- Select the required form which you want to check:
- Form 6
- Form 6A
- Form 7
- Form 8
- Form 8A
- Now enter the ID and the given captcha code and click on “Search” to receive the results.
Tracking Voter ID Status through SMS
The following facility is currently not available in Delhi. But if you want to check whether your name is included on the Electoral Roll, then you can send an SMS to 7738299899.
Through Helpline Number
The ECI office Delhi provides two helpline number, one is the helpline number and the other is the call center number where the applicants can call and ask their queries like the status of the Voter ID etc.
- Helpline Number- 1800111400
- Call center- 1950 which is a toll-free number. It is available on all the working days between 10:00 am to 5:00 pm.
How to apply for a Duplicate Voter ID Card in Delhi
If in case, your Voter ID Card is stolen, then you get a duplicate Voter ID card. But before that, you have to file a FIR in the nearest Police Station. Also if your Voter ID card is damaged or misplaced you can apply for a duplicate Voter ID card.
The process of applying for a Voter ID Card is as follows
- If your Voter ID is lost or stolen or misplaced, visit the nearest Police Station and file a FIR complaint. You will need this FIR Copy while applying for a duplicate Voter ID.
- Also give a letter to the police station mentioning the date of loss, place of loss and Voter ID number and name.
- You have to fill the Form 002, which can be downloaded online. The form is attached to the FIR. Form 002 is designed by the Election Commission of India for the issuance of the Duplicate Voter ID Card or Elector’s Photo Identity Card (EPIC).
- Also, submit the additional KYC Documents like the age proof and the address proof.
- Now submit all the documents along with the Form 002 at the nearest Election Commission Office. The application is then reviewed by the Officers and if all the data and information provided is correct then the Duplicate Voter ID Card is sent to the designated address.
How to make corrections in Voter ID Card in Delhi
Online Process of the making corrections in Voter ID Card in Delhi
If your Voter ID contains wrong information regarding you then you need to get it rectified as soon as possible. The wrong information can be your name, address, date of birth or photograph. You must get the incorrect information corrected soon, as the Voter ID Card serves as an Identity Card.
The process of doing the Voter ID Correction Online are as follows:
- Visit the Chief Electoral Officer website of Delhi. Log in using the credentials and if you are a first time user then you have to register on the Portal using your name, e-mail ID and phone number.
- Once you get logged in, then select the option “Apply for correction in particulars in Form 8 online“. The form 8 is then displayed on the screen.
- Before filling up the form, you need to enter the Assembly Constituency. If in case you are not sure about your Assembly Constituency then you select the same by the link provided to get narrower search.
- After entering the Assembly Constituency, you have to enter your name, parent’s name or spouse’s name, Voter ID number and the EPIC Number.
- After the above step is completed, you have to fill the Form 8 where you need to enter the other details like- name, address, information about the other family members whose name is already present in the electoral roll.
- Make sure that you have entered all the information correctly, that you wanted to change it in the Voter ID.
- Along with the application form, attach the required documents. Like for an example: if you are willing to change the photograph in the Voter ID then, you must upload a photo identity proof.
- Once the application form is submitted, the form and the documents are reviewed and the new corrected Voter ID is sent to your mentioned address.
Offline Process of the making corrections in Voter ID Card in Delhi
If in case, your name, or date of birth or photograph has been entered incorrectly then you follow the steps that are mentioned below to get a Correct Voter ID Card:
- Take the form 8 that is issued by the Election Commission of India. This form is meant for the correction of the name, address, date of birth and photograph in the Voter ID.
- Mention the information that needs to be corrected and attach the required documents along with that. Like for an example: if you want to correct your spelling name then you have submitted a KYC proof that has the correct spelling.
- Along with the form, submit all the documents at the nearest Election Commission Office. They might also ask to present the original Voter ID copy.
- The application for the change of the information of the Voter ID will be then reviewed and the new card will be sent to your residence.
How to Change the Address in Voter ID Card in Delhi
Online Process of Change of Address in Voter ID Card in Delhi
If you have moved to a different city or constituency then you must change the address in the Voter ID. The process is very simple and the Voters can file for an address change in Voter ID online:
Below are the steps for the Voter ID correction which is done online:
- Visit the official website of the Chief Electoral Officer and log in using the credentials. If you are a first time user then you have to register using the name, e-mail ID and phone number.
- A page will be displayed, where you need to select the form 8A which is meant for the change of address within the same assembly constituency or Form 6 which is meant for the change of address to another Assembly Constituency within Delhi or from another place in the country.
- The form will be displayed on the screen and you need to provide the correct address as well as the old address. You also have to enter the EPIC number along with the other details that are asked.
- Also, upload the required supporting documents for the address change. Once the form is submitted, the Booth Level Officers will visit your home and confirm the details.
- The new Voter ID with the updated address will be sent to your current residential address.
Offline Process of Change of Address in Voter ID Card in Delhi
For the voters who are not familiar with the online process of applying for the change of address in the Voter ID, the election procedure. The candidate has to fill up the form and submit the required documents and submit it to get it address in the Voter ID card changed.
Below is the process for the change of the address in the Voter ID
- Take the Form 8A which is meant for the correction of the address on the Voter ID. If you want to change your address to another Assembly Constituency within Delhi or from any other place in India then, select Form 6 to change the address in the Voter ID.
- Fill in the form correctly and attach the required documents for the new address like Ration Card or Passport.
- Finally, submit all the documents at the nearest Election Commission Office (ECO) in Delhi.
- The Election Commission Office will verify your application form and the other supporting documents and will send you the Corrected Voter ID.
Thus, these are the various different Voter ID procedures that are held in Delhi. So start Voting and be a responsible citizen of India.