Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (PMAY) was launched by Honourable Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 25th June 2015. This initiative has been taken in order to provide housing for all by 2022.
The scheme is conducting following programs for addressing the
- Slum rehabilitation
- Provision of Credit – linked subsidy for the weaker section
- Provision of affordable housing by collaborating with public and private sectors
- Beneficiary- led house construction or enhancement
The aim of the program is to provide a home to nearly 20 million people belonging to the low income families and underprivileged sections in the identified urban and semi – urban areas by 2022.
Another interest subsidy scheme was launched in the same year called Credit Linked Subsidy Scheme (CLSS) under Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Urban) – Housing for All for purchase, construction, extension, improvement of house to cater economically weaker section (EWS) or Lower Income Group (LIG) having an income up to Rs.3 lakh, and Low Income Families earning up to Rs.6 lakh only.
Eligibility Criteria for Credit Linked Subsidy Scheme (CLSS)
Following are the list of eligibility criteria for CLSS:
- A family comprises husband, wife and children
- None of the family members should have a pucca house registered under their name.
- Families from Economically Weaker Section (EWS) having an income up to Rs. 3 Lakh are eligible
- Low Income Families earning up to Rs.6 lakh only are also eligible for this scheme.
- The registration application should be in the name of the male or female head of the family applying for the subsidy
- This caters only to families looking only to buy a house and not renovate it.
Benefits of the Credit Linked Subsidy Scheme
Below is the list of the benefits of Credit Linked Subsidy Scheme:
- First time home buyers will get a subsidy benefit of 6.5% for a tenure of 15 years.
- The subsidy is paid upfront to the bank when availing the loan.
Highlights of the Credit Linked Subsidy Scheme
- Beneficiaries for Mid Income Group (MIG) category are required to provide Aadhaar numbers.
- The interest subsidy schemes will be available for the tenure of 20 years
- The interest subsidy is paid upfront to the bank resulting in reduced effective housing loan and Equated Monthly Instalment (EMI).
- The Net Present Value (NPV) of the interest subsidy will be calculated at a discount rate of 9 %.
- At present, the carpet area of MIG I is 90 sq m i.e. 968.752 sq ft which will be increased to 120 sq m i.e. 1291.668 sq ft. And for MIG II category the carpet area would be 150 sq m i.e. 1614.585 sq ft instead of 110 sq mt 1184.03 sq ft. And these changes will be implemented from January 1st