Have you just recently shifted to a new city? And you’re finding out how to get your address updated on your passport. Okay, so here’s the process of how you can change your address in the passport.
You have to get the passport reissued if you want to get your address changed in it. The process of reissue of passport is given below.
Process to Change your address in an Indian Passport
Creating an Account/ Log in
This is the first and foremost step for applying for the change of address. Create an account in the Passport Seva Online Portal Website. After creating an account, you need to log in and click on the Apply for a new passport/ Reissue of the Passport link.
If you already have an account just log in.
After the first step, you are given to choose two options:
- You can either download the e-form which is available in XML- format and fill in the application (offline) or II) You can fill in the application through the website (online) also. If you have downloaded the XML file, then you need to upload it again after the completion.
- If you have filled in the application online, then you just have to click on the submit when you’re done.
Make sure that you change your address into the current address that you are living presently.
Pay the Application Fee
After filling the form, choose the payment mode. There are basically 4 modes of payment options available:
|Modes of Payment||Accepted Providers||Charges|
|Credit Cards||Visa / Master Card||1.5% + GST|
|Debit Cards||Visa / Master Card / RuPay||1.5% + GST|
|Internet Banking||SBI and other banks that allow internet banking||No Extra Charges|
|SBI Challan||Fees can be deposited at the nearest SBI bank branch after 3 hours of generating the challan and within a time period of 85 days.||No Extra Charges|
The fees for reissue of passport due to address change is given below:
|Normal||36 Pages||INR. 1500|
|Normal||60 Pages||INR. 2000|
|Tatkal||36 Pages||INR. 3500|
|Tatkal||60 Pages||INR. 4000|
Schedule an Appointment at PSK or PO
After choosing the payment mode, you can schedule your appointment.
Steps to Schedule an Appointment-
- After the successful payment, select “Schedule appointment”.
- If your payment is processed, you can “Track the Payment status”.
- If you have paid using a challan, then wait for 2 days for its process from when you deposit money. The status will be updated with the “Track Payment Status”. Once the payment is successful you’re ready to schedule an appointment.
- Select the nearby passport office or Passport Seva Kendra (PSK) and the slot that is convenient for you.
- Confirm your appointment.
Download the Application Receipt
After the payment and scheduling an appointment you will receive an application receipt, print out a copy of it and keep it safe until the appointment.
Visit the Passport Office or PSK
Go to the respective Passport Seva Kendra or Regional Passport Office on prior to the date of the application.
The mandatory documents for the re-issue of the passport are as follows so that you can change your address:
- A printed copy of the on-line or off-line filled application form with the Application Reference Number mentioned on it.
- The application receipt- the application receipt that you have received at the end of the applying of Passport procedure.
- Photocopies of the first and last pages of the Old Passport.
- Address proof of new Address
So, for the Proof of Address, some of the accepted documents are –
- Water bill
- Telephone Bill (land-line or the post-paid mobile bill)
- Electricity Bill
- Income Tax Assessment Order
- Election Commission Photo Identity Card (EPIC)
- Proof of Gas Connection
- Certificate from the employer from the reputed companies on their letter -head.
- Photocopy of the Spouse’s passport
- Aadhaar card
- Registered rent agreement
- Photo passbook of the running bank account.
- Documents for Minors: Along with the above-listed documents, the minor also has to submit a declaration on a plain paper, according to the New Indian Passport Rules. There is no requirement of attestation. This is also applicable to each and every applicant.
- Documents required for the Government/PSU/Statutory Organization: Along with the above- listed the documents, the applicant must submit a No-Objection Certificate (Annexure “M”) or Prior Intimation letter (Annexure “N”).
- Documents Required for the Retired Government Official: Along with the above documents, the applicant needs to submit the Pension Payment Order.
That’s it. Once you reach the Passport Seva Kendra Office or the Regional Passport Office you can change your passport address to your current address. Carry the documents along with you. This is a bit time-consuming process and it may cost you an extra charge so make sure you take your correct address details and other information as well. For a quicker processing of your passport, you can choose for Tatkal Option instead of the Normal Type Application Form. The fee charges for this is a bit high.