India is the largest democracy and is the second most populated country in the world. The constitution under article 326 guarantees every indivIDual the right to vote and take part in elections. The Voter’s Identity card which is also called the Electronic Photo Identity card or the EPIC card is issued by the Election Commission of India to have accuracy in the Electoral roll and prevent cases of electoral fraud. It comprises of details like the applicant’s Name, signature, photograph, fingerprint, date of birth, address etc. The Chief Election Commissioner of Tamil Nadu is Mr Rajesh Lokhani who sits in St. George office in Chennai.
- 1 Eligibility Criteria for Voter ID in CEO Tamil Nadu
- 2 How to apply for Voter ID in CEO Tamil Nadu
- 3 How To Apply For A Duplicate Voter Id Card In CEO Tamil Nadu
- 4 How to Track CEO Tamilnadu Voter ID Application Status
Eligibility Criteria for Voter ID in CEO Tamil Nadu
- Those applicants who have reached 18 years of age or above can apply for a Voter ID card.
- Applicant should be an Indian citizen.
- Applicants who are bankrupt and who belong to a special category cannot apply for a Voter ID card even if they are 18 years of age.
The Voter ID card is not simply an Identity card but it also acts as a proof of Indian citizenship. Further, it is the ticket to take part in Indian politics. Moreover, a Voter ID card also acts a compulsory KYC document for almost any deals and processes in India. The documents required while applying for a Voter ID card are
- Identity proof
- Address proof
How to apply for Voter ID in CEO Tamil Nadu
Tamil Nadu is the Southernmost state of the country. The literal meaning of Tamil Nadu refers to “Tamil Country” or “the land of Tamils”. It is one of the largest producers of rice, textile and leather and ranks third in terms of Foreign Direct Investments approvals in the country. It is the sixth most populous and eleventh largest state in India. It is one of the most politically active states in India. In 2016 Assembly polls more than 73% voters turned out to vote. In order to participate in elections, the voter’s ID card is mandatory.
The Voter ID card in Tamil Nadu can be applied either via the online method or by the offline method. The details of both the methods are given below.
Steps to apply for a coloured Voter ID card in CEO Tamil Nadu Online using elections.tn.gov.in
For the successful submission of the application for a coloured Voter ID card the following steps must be taken
- Visit the official website of CEO Tamilnadu http://www.elections.tn.gov.in.
- Scroll down to find the “Online registration facility.Check Out“.
- Click on it and you will redirected to National Voters Service Portal (http://www.nvsp.in/)
- Click on the Apply online for registration of new voter
- You will be redirected to a page which will comprise an application form 6.
- Select your state as Tamil Nadu and your Constituency
- Fill in all the personal details in the form like Name, Date of Birth, Gender, Address etc.
- Upload your photograph.
- Upload supporting documents like Address and Age Proof.
- After this submit the completed form.
- After successful submission, a verification code will be sent to the registered mobile number.
- Fill the code in the appropriate box provided for it.
- After this, the site will send an Identity Code for your respective voter card.
- You can check the status of your Voter ID card with the help of this Identity code.
Usually, it takes 40 to 60 days for your Voter ID card to reach your house via post.
Steps to Apply for a Voter ID in CEO Tamil Nadu Offline
In the offline method, the applicant is required to submit form number 6 along with the necessary documents at the nearest electoral office. The form can be either downloaded from the official website of the Tamil Nadu CEO or can also be availed at the designated election offices or download it here. The form must be filled along with the necessary documents for verification. Once the documents are verified and reviewed the Booth Level Officers will visit the residence of the applicant to verify the information provided.
In case a person is already a registered voter then he or she can skip the application process and directly take part in Electoral Drives organised by the Election Commission of India. The date and location of such drives are frequently advertised in Television, radio and print media
How To Apply For A Duplicate Voter Id Card In CEO Tamil Nadu
There may arise a number of situations when you might want a duplicate Voter ID card. For instance when you have lost your ID card when your ID card got stolen or misplaced etc. For reissuing a duplicate ID card the following steps must be taken
- The issuance of a duplicate card will require you to produce a FIR from the police station that will prove the loss of the Voter ID card.
- The FIR must be filed along with an application form containing the name, date of loss, voters ID card number etc.
- Once the FIR has been filed, form number 002 must be filled for applying for a duplicate Voter ID card, download the Form 002 here.
- Complete the form and submit it along with the necessary documents to the nearest Election Commission Office.
- The application will be reviewed and the documents will be verified within a week and a new Voter ID card will be sent to the applicant’s residence.
How to Track CEO Tamilnadu Voter ID Application Status
After applying for a Voter ID card, a person can also track the status of his or her card. The government has provided various avenues by which the status of the Voter ID card is checked. Some of the ways by which the status of the card can be checked are
Check via online portal elections.tn.gov.in
The following steps must be taken to check the status of the Voter ID card online
- Visit the official website of Tamil Nadu CEO.
- Go to the “Services” section and click on “Electoral Services“.
- On clicking a new page will open where various services will be displayed click on “Application Tracking“.
- The application can be tracked with the help of the application ID or your registered mobile number.
- After this, click on “Track status” to view the status of your application.
Check via SMS service
The status of your application can also be tracked by sending an SMS in the following format, EPIC Voter ID Number and then send it to 9211728082.
Check by calling the ECI helpline
You can also call the dedicated ECI call center to check the status of your application. The ECI number (1950) is toll-free and is available between 10 am to 5 pm on all working days.
Read about How to link Voter ID Card with Aadhaar Card.