EPF (Employees Provident Fund) scheme is a retirement savings scheme for employees across India. In this scheme, a small portion of your salary is deducted from your salary account to your EPF account. Over a time it grows into a corpus which can be handy at the time of the emergencies.
Earlier if an employee switches their jobs they had to open a new EPF account with the company and submit an application to the new company to transfer the previous balance in new account. And as this was very inconvenient especially when one had to switch job frequently, the employees either used to avoid the whole process or withdraw their EPF account.
However, with the new initiative taken by the EPFO (Employees Provident Fund Organization), your EPF account will be automatically transferred in case you switch your job. Hence, it becomes easy and very convenient for people who change their jobs frequently.
This was communicated by the Central Provident Fund Commissioner in an order stating the revision of the transfer procedure.
Offline and Online method of EPF accumulation after changing jobs
In case your Aadhaar number is not linked with your PF account or with UAN (Universal Account Number) or the verification is still pending with the previous employer, you have to go with the offline procedure, as online procedure is not available in such cases.
For offline process of EPF accumulation, you have to get Form 13 (you can get it from your employer or you can download it by clicking here) fill the form properly and submit it to your new employee. Followed by the employer who is required to forward this application to EPFO office and PF will transferred in due course.
Also note, in the offline transfer the attestation of both the previous and the new employer is required.
In an online process, an employee is required to fill up the Composite Declaration Form (F – 11 Click here to download) with the details about their previous PF account and UAN, when they join a new company and submit it to their new employer.
The new employer is then required to update these details on the employers portal at EPFO
In case the UAN and PF account is linked with your Aadhaar number it will proceed with auto – transfer process.
Once done, an SMS will be sent on employees mobile phone number informing the same.
Check Here – How to link Aadhaar with EPF Account.
EPFO stands for Employees Provident Fund Organization. It is a statutory body under the Ministry of Labour and Employment, Government of India. The Organization was founded on 4th of March 1952.
The Organization offers special services such as:
- Employees Provident Scheme 1952
- Employees Deposit Linked Insurance, Scheme 1976
- Employees Pension Scheme 1995
Member Portal of EPFO
The link for the online portal of the EPFO is members.epfoservices.in. The portal provides all the information and services which are related to the Employees Provident Fund.
To experience the services such as checking your EPF balance etc. you need to log in to the portal and ask for the permission to access the online EPF Account Passbook.
How to Login to the EPFO Member Portal
Follow the below given steps to log in to the EPFO Member Portal:
- Visit the EPFO Member Portal: unifiedportal-mem.epfindia.gov.in.
- In the main page for the registration, fill in the required details.
- Ensure that you enter the correct documents type since you will have to log in to the portal using the same details provided by you.
- After the registration process, log in to the EPFO Member Portal. If you wish to register into the portal with the help of the PAN Card, you will have to select the PAN Number from the tab mentioning “Select Any One Document” and enter your PAN Number.
- Now check the details before submitting, to get the PIN Number.
- After the submission of the details, you will get an authorization PIN.
- Now enter the authorization PIN, and you will be registered.
- From the above-mentioned steps, you can now easily open the member portal by entering the specific details such as the mobile number, document type, and document number and successfully download your EPF Passbook from the website.
EPFO Member Portal: (Things to Remember)
- You can use only one mobile number during the process of registration.
- You can add multiple id numbers, and you can use anyone with your mobile number to login to the EPFO Member Portal.
- After registering yourself, you can be able to view your EPF Passbook. It is to be noted that you will be able to use this facility only if your employer has uploaded the electronic challan cum return from the wage month May 2012 onwards.
- Being a registered member, you can only view one account under one employer. If you have more than one account with one employer then you should apply for a transfer by filling in the required details in Form 11.
- You will be able to view 10 accounts under different organizations (establishments). There is no restriction on the number of times you view all the accounts.
- You don’t have to create any User ID or Password. You just need your registered mobile number and anyone identification proof (Aadhaar/ PAN/ National Population Register/ Voter ID/ Driving License/ Passport) to register and Log in.
- If in case you wish to view the inoperative accounts, you need to make one official request for using the facility to display the inoperative accounts.
- It is, however, important to note that the facility is not available to the current members of the organizations (establishments) which have an exemption as per EPF Scheme 1952.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has introduced the Universal Account Number (UAN) which is a 12-digit unique number to facilitate Provident Fund (PF) number portability. The UAN Number is allotted to the employee who is contributing to the EPF and will be generated for each of the PF Member by EPFO. The link to access the EPFO’s Universal Account Number (UAN) Member Portal is – unifiedportal-mem.epfindia.gov.in
This offers several facilities via one single window.
The UAN acts as an umbrella for the several individuals working under different organizations or establishments. UAN, therefore, links a multiple Member Identification Numbers of one Member. If you have been already allotted with a Universal Account Number (UAN), then you have to give the same to the new employer so the latter can mark the new Member ID to the allotted UAN.
You need to contact your Organization to get your UAN. After that, activate your registration to access different facilities such as the downloading of the UAN card, Updating of the KYC Details and much more.
The Employee Provident Fund(EPF) brings in a number of new measures to improvise online claim process. By inventing different methods for easy online streamline like for example ‘online transfer claim’ got replaced by United Portal of the EPFO. The online transfer PF claims were available since ages but now if a person wants to transfer any claims he or she will have to proceed via the ‘unified portal’.
Every employee is provided with a Unique Identity Number. This acts as an umbrella for a number of PF accounts. Earlier when an employee had to change his or her job he had to go through a time-consuming process of linking his old PF account to the new one but now with UAN, all an employee has to do is provide his UAN number to his or her new employer. As a person changes his or her job, the UAN acts as the umbrella of all the past PF accounts as well as the new one.
Things to Remember Before Using the Unified Portal:-
You need to keep your UAN number with you.
- Make sure that your UAN is seeded with KYC(bank details and Aadhaar)
- Provide the approved/verified KYC to your new employer.
- Log in to the official unified portal
- After logging in click e-sewa
- Click on ‘online services’ and then click ‘transfer request’
- Fill the transfer claim form online and then download the form in PDF format
- Take a print out of the form and then submit it to your employer after signing it(within 10 days).
- After receiving the form the employer approves the transfer digitally by accessing the employer interface in the Unified Portal.
Another initiative by the EPFO to ensure the convenience of the employer is that it has reduced the time of withdrawal to 5 days.
Transfer Post 1st of May:-
In order to ensure EPS benefit of the employees, the EPFO has directed to clear all in-process claims within the month.For this, the employer is required to take out a print out of the transfer claim and get it signed by the employee.Thus an employee who has initiated a transfer post 1 March is required to resubmit the claim.The date of joining and the date of leaving should be correct and there should not be any mismatch to ensure a smooth process.After attesting it from the employee the employer sends it to EPFO office to start the process.
After leaving an organization a person might be confused with whether to withdraw or to transfer the amount to the new employer.The following things should be kept in mind while transferring:-
- A person has the option to withdraw if he or she remains unemployed for 60 days( the withdrawal is not taxable if a person has served five years continuous service).
- If a person has worked at a particular place and has shifted his job to another organization then it is more advisable to transfer the existing PF to the new employer.
- It must also be kept in mind that monthly salary to EPF is necessary as 12% of monthly salary is moved to EPF.
The EPF is not only a saving scheme but also ensures a financial base for the employees after retirement.
To know more about EPF please visit the Unified Portal.
Employees’ Provident Fund Organization or EPFO which is a retirement fund body is mandatory to file online claims for provident fund withdrawals above Rs. 10 lakh, which is another step towards becoming a paperless organisation.
The EPF account holders are also required to file online claims for withdrawals of above Rs 5 lakh under the Employees Pension Scheme 1995 which has been mandated by the Employees’ Provident Fund Organizations (EPFO).
EPFO offers both the option of filing online as well as manual claims for provident fund withdrawal as also for pension to the EPF subscribers.
This decision of filing online claims for withdrawal of certain amount of money has been taken at a meeting chaired by Central Provident Fund Commissioner on January 17, 2018, said by an official
The official also said that
They also added that
Also note that the EPF account is required to be linked and verified in the system before the online claims can be settled. Also, the subscriber is required to have an activated universal account number.
And as per the rules, the claims exceeding the said limit would not be accepted in the physical form now onwards.
At present, the EPFO has over 6 crore subscribers and a corpus of Rs 10 lakh crore.
EPFO offers new facility for the citizens to generate UAN (Universal Account Number) easily. UAN is a 12 digit unique number which is allotted to every member of EPF (Employees’ Provident Fund), which helps the employee to keep a check of his EPF account.
To know more about it you can also read here – EPFO
The prime minister of India, Shri Narender Modi at a function organized by the Ministry of Labor and Employment initiated 5 different programs. The main aim of initiating these programs was to ensure” minimum government and maximum governance” and to bring more transparency and speed in the governance. One amongst such scheme was the Universal Account Number (UAN). It aimed at making the Provident Fund Account portable, hassle free and easily accessible to 4.17 crore employees in the country.Under the scheme, approximately 4 core employee under EPF.
Scheme was compiled and digitized and provided a Universal Account Number to all.The UAN will be linked with a person Aadhaar number and bank account. Further, the Prime minister also stated that this universal number will also consist of the KYC details of all the employees and will also ensure the inclusion of the weaker section of the society.
With the introduction of the UAN, EPF accounts will get updated monthly and an SMS about the same will be sent the holder. There will be easy portability through UAN.
UAN refers to Universal Account Number is a 12-digit number comprising of all PF account across different organization centralized into one. The card comprises of employee’s photo and KYC and thus it also helps companies to know their employees.
Features of UAN
- UAN will ensure the centralization of employee data and decrease the dependency of employers on EPF.
- The UAN acts as an umbrella for a multiple member ids.This means that even if a person has a number of PF account he or she can link all the account under one UAN.
- It will help in easy transfer and withdrawal of claims
- The UAN portal can also be used to check EPF claim, EPF passbook, and other facilities.
- The employer will no longer require to hold back the employee’s number.
- employees can also check their employer’s contribution by checking their EPF account every month.
- Each employee will be issued with one UAN number
- Any change in job will not lead to change in UAN
- UAN employee registration is done through employee’s organization
- The linking of different account under UAN can be done in EPFO portal
Advantages for the Employees
1)Less employee intervention: With UAN any request for PF withdrawal does not require the approval of the previous employer. The PF account of your old organization will be automatically linked to the PF account of your new organization and money will automatically transfer from the old to the new account
2)Easy transfer of funds: UAN ensures that change in an organization does not lead to a transfer of money from the employer account to another account. All you need to do is give your KYC and UAN details to your new employer. Once these details are verified your old account will be linked to your new account.
3)PF Passbook: By mentioning the UAN in the PF passbook, you can also check your balance, an SMS will be sent every time when money is transferred or credited to the account.
4)Efficient pension Scheme: Since money is easily transferred from one account to another, employees do not need to withdraw their Pf money. This will ensure greater pension money after retirement.
How to Link Account Using UAN?
Earlier it was difficult to maintain multiple accounts at the same time. However, with the introduction of the system of UAN, employees do not have to worry about the transfer of the amount from one account to another.
Accounts can be linked by following the procedure below:
- To verify the transfer claim, employers must have the digital certificates of the employees.
- Your EPFO database must comprise of your both previous and your present PF account numbers and member ID.
- Register in the EPFO online portal.
- Now, Log on to the OTCP website, select the document type and the fill in your document details.
- Go to menu bar, select request for claim under claim and fill in the necessary details
Part A: Name, Bank account number, Email id, IFSC code of the bank.
Part B: Details of your PF account of your previous establishment, name, and address of the establishment. If your details are already in the EPFO database, it will automatically get filled up but if the details are not available then you will have to fill it up manually.
Part C: Here you will have to fill in the details of your current employer which will again be crosschecked against the EPFO database records.
- Select the employer (present and previous), who will attest your claim
- By clicking on preview, you can view your application and you can change the data if you want to.
- Download the transfer claim form.
- Next, you need to take the print out of form 13 and present it to the employer to complete the claim submission.
You will also be able to check the status of transfer through member portal account.
How to Activate UAN?
After getting the UAN number an employee must activate it by visiting the EPCO online portal.The following steps must be followed to activate the UAN number:-
- Visit the EPFO website and click on the “Activate your UAN” link
- Fill in your UAN number, mobile number, and Member ID in the UAN activation page
- Click on the“Get Pin” option. After this, you will receive an activation PIN on the registered mobile number.
- Fill the PIN number and click submit.
- Next, write your UAN login password to complete the process.
Linking UAN and Aadhaar
The Labour ministry has made it compulsory to link Aadhaar with UAN. This is because the Aadhaar comprises of address and identity details but also the biometric details of an individual.This makes the verification process easier and quicker. Further employees can update their KYC details in future using their Aadhaar details by simply logging in to their UAN account. Aadhaar can be linked with UAN with 4 easy steps:-
- Log in to UAN member portal. For successful login, a person will first have to activate the UAN.
- If already a member, enter your UAN number, password, and the captcha to sign in.
- Click on “Manage” on the UAN dashboard and then select “KYC”.
- After this, you will be redirected to a page where a form will appear on the screen to update KYC document.Enter the number and name of the documents in the appropriate columns provided.In the case of bank account you will also have to submit your IFSC code and in the case of passport or driving license, the expiry date will have to be mentioned.
Further, there are a number of benefits of linking Aadhaar with UAN. For instance
- Now, PF claims can be withdrawn within 5 days if applied online using Aadhaar number.This is mainly done to encourage Aadhaar seeding.
- Now, there will be less employee intervention as the claims will be available in field office application software without routing the same through the employer.
- The online claim forms will be available for only those people who have seeded their Aadhaar number and bank details with the UAN.