With the last date around the corner to link Aadhaar card with the bank account. On Wednesday 21 of September, the Union Minister of Finance announced that more than one thousand bank branches have started Aadhaar enrollment to fasten the process and make it a hassle-free activity. Almost 42 private as well as public banks have taken the initiative to open up Aadhaar enrollment and updation centers within their premises.
UIDAI chief executive officer, Ajay Bhushan Pandey stated that since Aadhaar is mandatory to verify bank accounts, Bank Aadhaar Kendras are set up and banks are asked to start Aadhaar enrollment within the stipulated 10 percent of their branches by 30 September. He also warned the consequences of not following this order, that is, a fine of Rs 20000 will be charged against those banks who have failed to follow orders.
Although UDAI has set a target of opening 15000 such banks Aadhaar Kendras at the earliest, only 1000 bank branches have opened up such facilities. The UIDAI in July has set August end as the deadline for banks to open up Aadhaar enrollment and updation centers. However, since many banks have requested to extend the deadline, the UIDAI has directed them to open these bank Aadhaar kendras by 30 September 2017.
Benefits Of Bank Aadhaar Kendra
The government has recently made Aadhaar a compulsory KYC document to verify the validity of bank accounts and also while opening a bank account and making big transactions (like transactions above Rupees 50000). The Union Government has set 31 December as the last date to complete the Aadhaar- bank linking process. All the Aadhaar less bank accounts after the last date will be rendered invalid. Thus keeping in mind the approaching last date, the UIDAI in July has asked both private as well as public banks to set Aadhaar enrollment and updation center at their premises and already 1000 such facilities have been set up. Some of the key benefits of such facilities are:
- UIDAI has taken this step to ensure the convenience of people. Bank Aadhaar Kendra will save both the time as well as money of the people.
- Bank Aadhaar Kendras are reliable and will do away with fake or fraud enrollment centers which was a major concern for many people till recently.
- The customers can visit their nearest bank branch and complete the process of Aadhaar enrollment within 15 minutes by taking any approved document as proof of identity and address.
- There is almost one lakh twenty thousand bank branches in India and this decision is expected to open approximately 12000 Aadhaar enrollment centers in these bank branches.
- Bank Aadhaar Kendras will ensure that Enrollment takes place in a safe, secure and supervised environment.
- Further, this step will also reduce the chances of corruption and malpractices as the enrollment and updation will take place under strict supervision.