As the name suggests, Voter’s identity card is required to participate in elections to cast your vote and elect your leader who will then run the country. Voter’s identity card is also known as EPIC (Electors Photo Identity Card). And it is authorized by the Government of India as an identification proof. In this article, we will discuss the various methods to check Voter ID Application Status.
Elections take place in every 5 years in India. And it is the responsibility of the citizens to exercise the right given to them and elect the ideal leader by casting their vote. And in India, every individual who has reached the age of 18 years or above are eligible to vote and take part in an election.
Unlike previous times where people were required to visit the electoral office physically in order to enquire about their Voter ID Card application process. However, today the process has become much easier and simple where you can complete the task anytime and anywhere according to your convenience.
You can check the status of your application in three ways which are as follows:
- Online using the official website of the ECI (Election Commission of India)
- Using your mobile via SMS
- Calling on the designated helpline number
|Some Important Links|
|Voter ID Card Information|
|Apply For The Voter ID Card|
|Update/Correction In Voter ID Card|
|Verify Voter ID Card|
|Link Voter ID Card With Aadhaar Card|
How to Check Voter ID Card Application Status
Every Indian citizen after reaching the age of 18 should apply for the voter’s id card. Once a person applies for the card he or she can check the status of the card with the following three methods:
Check Voter ID Application Status via Call
Besides this, a user can also call the call center of the Election Commission of India. The number is toll-free and the instructions are given in both Hindi as well as English and few regional languages as well and their number is 1950.
Checking Voter ID Application Status Online using Official Website
The Government of India, in order to ensure an easy access to the Election Commission by the people of India, initiated the online portal i.e National Voter’s Service Portal (http://www.nvsp.in) where besides other services, also facilitate people who have applied for their voter’s id to check the status of their application.
In order to avail this facility, the following steps must be taken:
- Visit the website of National Voter’s Service Portal i.e. http://www.nvsp.in You can also track status of your application form on respective State CEO Website. A list is given below for your convenience.
- Click on the hyperlink “Track Application Status“. (Refer to the image below)
- After this, a page will appear which will ask for your Reference Id. You will find the reference id on the acknowledgement you received after successfully submitting the Voter ID Application.
- Click on “Track Status”
- If your Reference ID is correct, the status of your Voter ID Application Status will be displayed on the screen.
Tracking Voter ID Application Status via Mobile or SMS
To make the service accessible to people with no or low speed internet connection, Election Commission also provides the option of tracking Voter ID Application Status via SMS. The following format should be used while using SMS to check the status of your Voter ID Application:
- Type EPIC then spaces followed by the Voter’s ID Application Number.
- The message should be sent to the Electoral office which will send the information about the Voter ID Card Application Status.
- The number to which this SMS has to be sent varies from one Electoral Office to another. A List is also provided here.
How to Check the Active Voter ID Application Status
Some of the other methods which can be used to know the status of the voter’s id card is:
Check the status by name: This is one of the easiest methods to check the status of the voter’s id card. For this method, the user must be registered to the official online portal of National Voters’ services. Once the registration process is done the following user can log in to his or her account and fill in the following details to get the status of the voters’ id:
- Age and Date of birth.
- Assembly Constituency
- Captcha code
Check status by number: In order to avail this service, one must visit the official website of National Voter’s Service Portal. Besides giving information about the voter’s application status, the portal also helps to provide other information like in searching the nearest polling station, address change and also in finding the Booth level officer, Electoral Roll officer, district Election Officials and officers in Chief Election Office. The following steps must be taken to avail this service:
- Visit the official website of NSVP: www.nvsp.in
- Go to “national service” and then click on “search your name in electoral roll”
- You will be redirected to a page where in order to search by EPIC number click on the second tab.
- Fill in all the details like name, father’s name, date of birth, state, district, gender, assembly constituency etc and click on “search”
- After this, a page will appear which will consist of various details like:
- information about the polling station
- download and print option of the voters’ id card
- address change application
- booth level officer
- Electoral roll officer
- District Election officer
- Officers in the Chief Election Office.
Status of Voters Id Correction Application
There may arise a number of circumstances when a person might want to make changes to voters’ id card like due to change in surname after marriage or divorce or when a person received the card with incorrect details. In all such cases after applying for changes in the card, the following steps can take to know the status of the correction:
- Visit the official website of National Voters’ Services Portal.
- Enter the reference number provided during the submission of Form 8.
- After this click on “track status” to view the status of the application.
It must be noted that after applying for the voters’ card, either the applicant will receive the card or the verification team will visit the applicant’s residence. However, if neither of these happens then the applicant must inform the zonal officer, ERO, Local Tahsildar or call the polling station in his or her area.
Importance of Voter ID Card
There can various instances when a voter’s id card can be used
- While applying for a passport the voter’s id card acts as a compulsory document to verify an individual’s identity.
- Similarly, while traveling within the country one must always carry the voters’ id card as it is their most important of proof of citizenship.
- Voters id is provided by the government of India does not discriminate anyone on the basis of caste, class, gender or tribe. However, it has only one pre-requisite that is in order to avail this card one must be 18 years or above. It is the only card that entitles the power to vote to an individual.
|Some Useful Important Links|
|Apply New Voter ID Registration||Click Here|
|Online Correction Voter ID Card||Click Here|
|Apply New Voter ID Registration NRI||Click Here|
|Know Your Name In Electoral Roll||Click Here|
|Application Status||Click Here|
|Online Complaints For Any Problem||Click Here|
|Official Website||Click Here|
The Employee Provident Fund(EPF) brings in a number of new measures to improvise online claim process. By inventing different methods for easy online streamline like for example ‘online transfer claim’ got replaced by United Portal of the EPFO. The online transfer PF claims were available since ages but now if a person wants to transfer any claims he or she will have to proceed via the ‘unified portal’. Every employee is provided with a Unique Identity Number. This acts as an umbrella for a number of PF accounts. Earlier when an employee had to change his or her job he had to go through a time-consuming process of linking his old PF account to the new one but now with UAN, all an employee has to do is provide his UAN number to his or her new employer. As a person changes his or her job, the UAN acts as the umbrella of all the past PF accounts as well as the new one.
Things to Remember Before Using the Unified Portal:-
You need to keep your UAN number with you.
- Make sure that your UAN is seeded with KYC(bank details and Aadhaar)
- Provide the approved/verified KYC to your new employer.
- Log in to the official unified portal
- After logging in click e-sewa
- Click on ‘online services’ and then click ‘transfer request’
- Fill the transfer claim form online and then download the form in PDF format
- Take a print out of the form and then submit it to your employer after signing it(within 10 days).
- After receiving the form the employer approves the transfer digitally by accessing the employer interface in the Unified Portal.
Another initiative by the EPFO to ensure the convenience of the employer is that it has reduced the time of withdrawal to 5 days.
Transfer Post 1st of May:-
In order to ensure EPS benefit of the employees, the EPFO has directed to clear all in-process claims within the month.For this, the employer is required to take out a print out of the transfer claim and get it signed by the employee.Thus an employee who has initiated a transfer post 1 March is required to resubmit the claim.The date of joining and the date of leaving should be correct and there should not be any mismatch to ensure a smooth process.After attesting it from the employee the employer sends it to EPFO office to start the process.
After leaving an organization a person might be confused with whether to withdraw or to transfer the amount to the new employer.The following things should be kept in mind while transferring:-
- A person has the option to withdraw if he or she remains unemployed for 60 days( the withdrawal is not taxable if a person has served five years continuous service).
- If a person has worked at a particular place and has shifted his job to another organization then it is more advisable to transfer the existing PF to the new employer.
- It must also be kept in mind that monthly salary to EPF is necessary as 12% of monthly salary is moved to EPF.
The EPF is not only a saving scheme but also ensures a financial base for the employees after retirement.
To know more about EPF please visit the Unified Portal.
ELSS stands for Equity Linked Saving Scheme. The ELSS is provided by the Mutual Fund of India. These are tax benefit schemes under section 80C of the Income Tax Act 1961.The minimum maturity period or lock in period is three years. The minimum investment is Rs 500. Although there is no upper limit on the maximum investment, tax is exempted only upto 1.5 lakhs per year.
There are two option for investing into ELSS, they are, the Systematic Investment Plan (SIP) and the Lum Sum Investment Plan. The Systematic investment plan is more recommended by experts because it maintains an average and does lead much loss with market variation.
Risk Involved in ELSS
Unlike other government backed tax saving schemes the ELSS depends on market variations and any gain or loss depends upon the companies where the investment is made. Even though it is risky it also yields good returns.It is for this reason that experts advise on investing into mutual funds because it bears advantages that no other investment schemes provide.
Advantages of ELSS
Besides saving tax, mutual funds comes with a number of other advantages like:
High return: Equity has the capacity to yield higher returns. Most of the time I the long-term equity outperforms long term tax saving schemes when invested for a period of 5 to 10 years. While the returns on fixed tax saving schemes like PPF or fixed deposit goes upto 8%, the returns of investment on ELSS goes upto 15% within 10-year period
Opportunities: Sometimes when the economy is going through a downfall, in such a time even good companies sell their stock at a very low price. This can turn out to be a great investment of the ELSS funds as this would mean buying the good stocks at a cheap price which will in turn will yield good returns when the economy pulls up. Thus, it is always recommended to invest in ELSS when the economy is going through a bad phase
More choices and options: Firstly, the minimum term period of ELSS is 3 years. Thus, unlike fixed saving investments a person does not need to wait for many years for its maturity. Further it is not mandatory to invest in ELSS every year. If a particular fund is giving good returns then investment to such a fund can be stopped any time. Moreover, a person can also have a variety of funds. Thus, if one fund is not doing well he or she can anytime shift to another fund.
It is tax free!!: Not only are the investment tax free upto 1.5 lakhs per annum, the returns on the investment are also tax free upto one year. By the time the lock in period ends the returns also becomes tax free. The tax deduction on investment is based on the guidelines of the section 80C of the Income Tax Act 1961.
ELSS And Other Saving Schemes and Deposits
ELSS and PPF: Even though the PPF is backed by the government and does not involve much risk, it must also be kept in mind before making an investment to any tax saving scheme that ELSS comes with greater return than PPF.
On one hand, the rate of interest on PPF deposit is 7.9% while on the other hand the rate of interest on ELSS depends on market variations and goes as high as 12% to 15%. Further the lock in period of PPF is 15 years. Prior to completion of its term period only partial withdrawal is allowed on special occasions. The minimum term period of ELSS is 3 years.
Moreover with PPF account, a person is required to deposit a minimum of Rs 500 per year. In case of ELSS a person can stop investing if he or she finds that investing on a particular fund is not yielding proper returns. A person can invest a maximum of 1.5 lakhs per year in a PPF account. There is no upper limit on the maximum amount of investment when it comes to ELSS. Although it must be mentioned that in case of ELSS the tax exempted maximum amount is Rs 1.5 lakhs as per the guidelines provided in section 80C in the Income Tax Act of 1961
ELSS and fixed deposit: An ELSS is an investment made on equity. A fixed deposit is simple deposit with a lock in period. It can be opened in any bank in India. While the interest rate on ELSS depends on market variables, the average rate of interest varies between 12% to 15%. On the other hand, the interest rate of fixed deposit varies between 6.5% to 7.5%.
The minimum lock in period in case of ELSS is 3 years and in case of fixed deposit the minimum lock in period is 5 years and maximum of 10 years. Further, when it comes to ELSS, withdrawal claims can be made any time after the completion of 3 years. However, in case of fixed deposit a person cannot claim for withdrawal before the completion of 5 years.
ELSS and recurring deposits: Investing in recurring deposit does not involve any risk but at the same time the rate of return is also less compared to ELSS. The rate of interest on recurring deposit varies from one bank to another and is usually between 5% to 7%. On the other hand, ELSS involves a risk factor but again its interest rate is higher than any other saving schemes.
ELSS and NSC: In case a person is searching for a safe return then he or she should invest on NSC rather than on mutual fund but if a person focuses on returns then he or she should definitely invest on ELSS. Further, both NSC and ELSS differs in terms of lock in period. The lock in period of NSC is 6 years and the lock in period on ELSS is 3 years
Thus, it can be concluded that although it comes with risk, ELSS gives better return than any other saving schemes in India. With high returns it gives the tax payer additional advantage of a short lock-in period.
The superiority of ELSS with regards to other saving schemes in terms of returns can be explained with the following table:
|INVESTMENT||TERM PERIOD||RETURNS||TAX ON RETURNS|
|ELSS||3 YEARS||14-16%||NO TAX|
|PPF||15 YEARS||7.9%-8.5%||NO TAX|
|NSC||5 OR 10 YEARS||8.5%||INTEREST IS TAXABLE|
|FD||5 YEARS||9.5%||INTERST IS TAXABLE|
|LIFE INSURANCE||5 YEARS||0-6%||NO TAX|
Thus, it can be concluded after going through the advantages and the disadvantages of ELSS that ELSS comes with risk and due to market downfall, a person might not earn any gain. However, this does not mean that a person will be exempted from any benefit because even though a person does not get any return, it must be kept in mind that the amount invested is always tax exempted.
To know more about Tax Saving Investment Options available to you please check out An Overview of Tax Saving Investment Schemes
The prime minister of India, Shri Narender Modi at a function organized by the Ministry of Labor and Employment initiated 5 different programs. The main aim of initiating these programs was to ensure” minimum government and maximum governance” and to bring more transparency and speed in the governance. One amongst such scheme was the Universal Account Number (UAN). It aimed at making the Provident Fund Account portable, hassle free and easily accessible to 4.17 crore employees in the country.Under the scheme, approximately 4 core employee under EPF.
Scheme was compiled and digitized and provided a Universal Account Number to all.The UAN will be linked with a person Aadhaar number and bank account. Further, the Prime minister also stated that this universal number will also consist of the KYC details of all the employees and will also ensure the inclusion of the weaker section of the society.
With the introduction of the UAN, EPF accounts will get updated monthly and an SMS about the same will be sent the holder. There will be easy portability through UAN.
UAN refers to Universal Account Number is a 12-digit number comprising of all PF account across different organization centralized into one. The card comprises of employee’s photo and KYC and thus it also helps companies to know their employees.
Features of UAN
- UAN will ensure the centralization of employee data and decrease the dependency of employers on EPF.
- The UAN acts as an umbrella for a multiple member ids.This means that even if a person has a number of PF account he or she can link all the account under one UAN.
- It will help in easy transfer and withdrawal of claims
- The UAN portal can also be used to check EPF claim, EPF passbook, and other facilities.
- The employer will no longer require to hold back the employee’s number.
- employees can also check their employer’s contribution by checking their EPF account every month.
- Each employee will be issued with one UAN number
- Any change in job will not lead to change in UAN
- UAN employee registration is done through employee’s organization
- The linking of different account under UAN can be done in EPFO portal
Advantages for the Employees
1)Less employee intervention: With UAN any request for PF withdrawal does not require the approval of the previous employer. The PF account of your old organization will be automatically linked to the PF account of your new organization and money will automatically transfer from the old to the new account
2)Easy transfer of funds: UAN ensures that change in an organization does not lead to a transfer of money from the employer account to another account. All you need to do is give your KYC and UAN details to your new employer. Once these details are verified your old account will be linked to your new account.
3)PF Passbook: By mentioning the UAN in the PF passbook, you can also check your balance, an SMS will be sent every time when money is transferred or credited to the account.
4)Efficient pension Scheme: Since money is easily transferred from one account to another, employees do not need to withdraw their Pf money. This will ensure greater pension money after retirement.
How to Link Account Using UAN?
Earlier it was difficult to maintain multiple accounts at the same time. However, with the introduction of the system of UAN, employees do not have to worry about the transfer of the amount from one account to another.
Accounts can be linked by following the procedure below:
- To verify the transfer claim, employers must have the digital certificates of the employees.
- Your EPFO database must comprise of your both previous and your present PF account numbers and member ID.
- Register in the EPFO online portal.
- Now, Log on to the OTCP website, select the document type and the fill in your document details.
- Go to menu bar, select request for claim under claim and fill in the necessary details
Part A: Name, Bank account number, Email id, IFSC code of the bank.
Part B: Details of your PF account of your previous establishment, name, and address of the establishment. If your details are already in the EPFO database, it will automatically get filled up but if the details are not available then you will have to fill it up manually.
Part C: Here you will have to fill in the details of your current employer which will again be crosschecked against the EPFO database records.
- Select the employer (present and previous), who will attest your claim
- By clicking on preview, you can view your application and you can change the data if you want to.
- Download the transfer claim form.
- Next, you need to take the print out of form 13 and present it to the employer to complete the claim submission.
You will also be able to check the status of transfer through member portal account.
How to Activate UAN?
After getting the UAN number an employee must activate it by visiting the EPCO online portal.The following steps must be followed to activate the UAN number:-
- Visit the EPFO website and click on the “Activate your UAN” link
- Fill in your UAN number, mobile number, and Member ID in the UAN activation page
- Click on the“Get Pin” option. After this, you will receive an activation PIN on the registered mobile number.
- Fill the PIN number and click submit.
- Next, write your UAN login password to complete the process.
Linking UAN and Aadhaar
The Labour ministry has made it compulsory to link Aadhaar with UAN. This is because the Aadhaar comprises of address and identity details but also the biometric details of an individual.This makes the verification process easier and quicker. Further employees can update their KYC details in future using their Aadhaar details by simply logging in to their UAN account. Aadhaar can be linked with UAN with 4 easy steps:-
- Log in to UAN member portal. For successful login, a person will first have to activate the UAN.
- If already a member, enter your UAN number, password, and the captcha to sign in.
- Click on “Manage” on the UAN dashboard and then select “KYC”.
- After this, you will be redirected to a page where a form will appear on the screen to update KYC document.Enter the number and name of the documents in the appropriate columns provided.In the case of bank account you will also have to submit your IFSC code and in the case of passport or driving license, the expiry date will have to be mentioned.
Further, there are a number of benefits of linking Aadhaar with UAN. For instance
- Now, PF claims can be withdrawn within 5 days if applied online using Aadhaar number.This is mainly done to encourage Aadhaar seeding.
- Now, there will be less employee intervention as the claims will be available in field office application software without routing the same through the employer.
- The online claim forms will be available for only those people who have seeded their Aadhaar number and bank details with the UAN.
In a press release by the Ministry of Labour and Employment on 31 July 2017, it has been stated that the EPFO has signed an agreement with 10 banks for the purpose of collecting EPFO dues and make PF payment to the EPFO beneficiaries. This list include State Bank of India, Punjab National Bank, Indian Bank, Allahabad Bank, Union Bank of India, Bank of Baroda, HDFC Bank, ICICI Bank, Axis Bank and Kotak Mahindra Bank.
Objective of the Tie Up
The main aim of the tie up is to ensure easy online banking for the employers and also to create new avenues and options by which the employer can contribute to the employee’s EPFO bank accounts.
Further the government has enacted the Unorganized Worker Social Security Act, 2008 to ensure social security benefits to workers in the unorganized sector.
Benefits of the EPF
With the passing of the Unorganized Worker Social Security Act, the benefits includes welfare schemes for the unorganized workers like
- Life and disability cover
- Health and maternity benefits
- Old age protection
- Any other benefits that will determined by the central government through the National Social Security Board
Further it has also been stated in the press release that the review of the the different schemes is a ongoing process. Thus their will be time to time revision of the welfare schemes so as to make improvements and make the lives of the people easier.