Passport is one of the important official document issued by the Indian Government. The Passport is known to be a ticket to travel the world. It serves as an Identity Proof as well as the Age Proof. In this article, we are going to discuss the importance of Passport, Renewal of the Passport and how to do the Passport Renewal in India, documents required for renewal etc.
|Some Important Links Related To Indian Passport|
|Apply For Indian Passport|
|Change Address In Passport|
|Passport Application Status|
|Non ECR Passport|
- 1 Why is it Necessary to Renew a Passport
- 2 Procedure for Passport Renewal in India
- 3 Documents Required for the Online Passport Renewal
- 4 Difference between the Renewal and Re-issue
- 5 FAQs
Why is it Necessary to Renew a Passport
If you are traveling abroad then you have to carry your Passport. A passport does not guarantee entry to any country, but it is a required document to go abroad. Furthermore, the validity of an Indian Passport is 10 years. After the expiration of the validity, you should renew your Passport. Passport is accepted as a Proof of an Identification, Address, and Age in India.
Procedure for Passport Renewal in India
If the applicants want to apply it online, then they can perform the renewal process online. They can also make the payment online and book an appointment.
There are 5 major steps to complete the Renewal Process:
Registering Process Online
- Visit the Passport Seva Kendra Site and register for the Passport Renewal online.
- If you are already a registered user, then log in using the credentials.
- If you are a new register, then click “New User” and “Register Now”.
- Select the nearest Passport Office based on your current address.
- To register, you need to provide the basic details which include your name and date of birth.
- Create a Login ID and Password and set a hint question and register.
- You will then receive an e-mail to the address you have provided.
- A link is sent to your e-mail. Activate your account using the link.
- Once you are logged into your Passport Account. Click on “Apply for Fresh Passport/ Re-issue of the Passport”.
Filling of the Application
- There are two options available for filling the application form.
- You can both download the application form in PDF Format and fill it offline or you can fill the form online.
- Fill in the current address.
- Update the details if in case you want to make any change.
- You need to provide any two local references. Provide their full name, phone number, and address.
- If police verification is required, these people will be contacted. For online application procedure, you have to click on submit to complete the application.
- If you are using the PDF format make sure that you enter your city or village. Click on validate and save the form.
- You need to upload this document to the same page from where it has been downloaded.
- The details will be entered automatically in the online form.
- Recheck and verify all the details before clicking the submit button.
- The only thing which you can edit after submission is the changing of the Passport Office.
For renewal of the Passport application, there is no Payment required.
Booking a Slot
- You can click on the “scheduled appointment”
- Select the available slot according to your convenience. You can also choose the option to choose the nearest Post Office.
- Once your slot is confirmed, you can schedule your appointment.
Visiting the Passport Office
You can visit the Passport Office 15 minutes before the slot timing. A group number is allocated and it is mentioned on your form. When your number is called, you can go to the next room and the application process is carried on. If you sign up for SMS Service, then you will receive all the updates about the Passport Status. Once you have successfully completed your process and submitted all the documents then the validity will be changed on the passport and the same booklet will be returned to you.
Documents Required for the Online Passport Renewal
The Online Official Portal for the Passport is Passport Seva Kendra. Under this website, they have “Document Advisor” which is meant for the renewal of the Passport. The documents that are required for the Online Passport Renewal are:
- Original Old Passport
- Self-attested copy of first and last two pages of Passport.
- Self-attested copy of ECR and Non-ECR Passports.
- Self-attested copy of Page of Observation, if any made by the Passport Issuing Authority.
- Self-attested copy of the Validity extension page, if any in respect of short validity passport.
- Proof of the documents which eliminate the cause of issuance of Short Validity of Passport.
What is the Purpose of the Renewal of the Short Validity Passport?
The short validity passport is issued for certain cases. The purpose of the renewal of the Short Validity Passport are as follows:
- The students who are appearing for different exams like SAT, TOEFL etc.
- Indians who are residing in Abroad and wish to travel India.
- Non-delivery of Passport due to the loss of transit.
- In case the applicant has a criminal case pending in the court.
Difference between the Renewal and Re-issue
Renewal of Passport: The Renewal of the Passport is performed when you want to extend the validity of the Passport. Like for an example if you’re Passport has a short validity if 2-5 years then you can extend the validity period of the Passport. This process of extending the Validity of the Passport is called as Renewal of Passport.
Re-Issue: The Re-issue of the Passport done when you need a complete new Passport. You will receive a new booklet number and Passport Number.
Passports are issued under the following circumstances:
- Expired or about to get expired
- Lost Passport
- Stolen Passport
- Exhaustion of Pages
- Damaged or soiled Passport
- Change in the personal details.
- After the renewal of the passport, the validity of the Passport becomes 10 years.
- For the renewal of the Passport, you will not receive any new booklet. Only the validity will be changed in the passport and the same passport will be returned back to you.
- You need to carry all your original documents to the Passport Office for your appointment.
- But in case of the submission process, you need to submit only the self-attested copies of your documents. The original documents are considered only for the verification purpose and will be given back to you after verification.
- You cannot make any corrections online, once the application form is submitted. You can visit the Passport Seva Kendra and ask the Citizen Service Executive to make the change if required.
- There are no charges for the Renewal of the Passport.