Last updated on July 24th, 2017 at 06:51 pm
While the Aadhaar card was initially granted only to Indian residents, the central government has now made a provision to issue the same to Non Resident Indians (NRI) as well. The card comprises of a 12-digit number unique to every individual.
As per the Aadhaar Act 2016, only a resident who has resided for a period or periods amounting in all to 182 days or more in the 12 months immediately preceding the date of application for enrollment is eligible for Aadhaar.
This move was considered important not only to keep a count on the demographic profile of the country but also acts as a unique card comprising of biometric as well as identity and address proof of every Indian citizen.
Steps To Apply For An Aadhaar Card
The Aadhaar enrollment is a very simple and a hassle free process. The process is same for both Indians as well as Non Indian Residents (NRIs). Application for an Aadhaar card should meet the following steps:
- The first step is to enroll yourself for an Aadhaar. This is done by filling in the enrollment form in any Aadhaar enrollment centre anywhere in this country. You can locate your nearby Aadhaar centre by visiting the official UIDAI website
- After successful enrollment an acknowledged slip will be provided for your future use. In case you have lost your slip in can retrieve the same in the official website of UIDAI. This will require your mobile number registered at the time of enrollment.
- To check your Aadhaar status all you need to do is visit the official UIDAI website, click the “enroll and get Aadhaar option”. After this click on to “check Aadhaar status” option. This will redirect you to a page wherein you will have to fill your 28-digit enrollment id. The 28 digit enrollment id comprises of your 14 digit enrollment number provided at the top of your acknowledgment slip and 14 digit date and time (dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm:ss) of your enrollment.
- Finally, you need to fill in the security code provided in the captcha in the right hand side.
Procedure To Fill The Enrollment Form
The procedure to apply for an Aadhaar card is same for both NRIs as well Indian citizens.
Steps to fill in the enrollment form: –
There are all total 12 columns in the form. A step by step guideline to fill the form is provided below: –
- Pre enrollment id – This is not a mandatory field. If you want to provide your demographic data online to UIDAI you can visit their official website and after filling in your details you will be provided with a pre enrollment id. You may provide this number in this column
- NPR receipt/TIN number – This refers to national population survey slip or Tax Identification number. This is again not a mandatory field
- Full Name – Here you should mention your full name, I.e., your first name, your middle name and your surname. Your name should match with the name that provided in your identity proof document
- Gender – Here you will have to identify your gender as male, female or Transgender
- Age – If you are not sure about your age, you can provide your approximate age. If you do not have any documents to prove your age, then click on the declared box and if you have the documents to prove your age then click the verified box
- Address – Here you need to provide your address. Your address should match the address that you have provided in your address proof document. Along with your address, you also need to provide your mobile number and email id
- Details of family members – this is not a mandatory column for adults but it is compulsory for children below the age of 5. Parents should provide their names and Aadhaar numbers.
- Consent – By giving your consent you will allow UIDAI to share the information that you have provided to the public service agencies
- Doc provided – In the column “for document based”, it is mandatory to provide your Proof of Identity and Proof of Address. The proof of date of birth is mandatory you have selected the verified box in the date birth field. Proof of relationship document is mandatory if you are using an introducer or a head of the family to enroll for an Aadhaar card (e.g.: -passport, pension card, marriage certificate etc.)
- Introducer/head of the family – In case a person does not have any proof of Address or proof of identity than he or she will have to fill in the credentials of the head of the family
- Signature – Here the applicant will have given his/her signature, name or thumbprint to authenticate the form.
Documents Required for Aadhaar Card for NRIs
1)Documents that establish your identity as a Non Residential Indian (NRI)
5)Documents linking your connection with the country where they hold green card/residency (this will be verified by officials to see whether or not you are eligible for Aadhaar card)
The full list of documents is given below.
Finger Tip Scanning
After successful submission of your enrollment form, you will be called for your fingertip scanning where all of your ten fingers will be scanned. This is done to ensure that your biometric data is unique. For this, you will have to personally visit the Aadhaar card centre
The iris scanning will be done in the Aadhaar card centre itself. This is done to make sure that your data is not confused with anyone else
This is also done in the Aadhaar centre. A photograph of the applicant is taken by a web camera and is added to the Aadhaar card
After successfully scanning and submitting all the documents, the authorities takes a minimum of three months to produce an Aadhaar card. You can check the status of your Aadhaar card in the official website of UIDAI.