Last updated on July 24th, 2017 at 06:51 pm
Aadhaar card is of immense importance nowadays. It is 12 digit unique identity provided to the all the Indian Citizens absolutely for free. It not only acts as an identity proof and an address proof but also helps in keeping a demographic count of the population.
Aadhaar card is provided to all the citizen of India irrespective of class, caste, creed, nationality or age. So yes even children are eligible to apply for Aadhaar card. This can be done by following the procedure below: –
- To enroll your child for Aadhaar, one parent/guardian needs to have Aadhaar for biometric authentication.
- You can visit the nearest enrollment center. The appointment for an enrollment center can be done online.
- After visiting the allotted Aadhaar centre, the next step is to fill in the application form. This stage also requires uploading your child’s recent passport size photograph, mobile number of guardian.
- For children below 5 years, biometric test is not taken.
- Retina and fingerprint will be scanned and recorded for children above 5 years. The recorded information will be linked to his/her Aadhaar card
- Finally, at the age of 15, the child’s biometric data will be taken again. This is the final record and the information will be updated to the child’s Aadhaar Number.
- After filling all the required fields, an Aadhaar generation notification will be sent to your registered mobile number.
- Finally, collect the acknowledgment slip and confirm the data submitted on the screen. Once the registration is done successfully the applicant will receive his or her Aadhaar number within 60 days.
Documents required for applying for Aadhaar card for children
- Birth certificate of the child
- Aadhaar card details of any one of the child’s parent
- Address proof of the child’s parents
- Identity proof of child’s parents
The importance of an Aadhaar Card for Children
- Helps the government to keep a demographic count of the population
- Acts as an identity proof and address proof for children
- It will also ensure that they benefit from numerous government schemes in the future like
The HRD ministry has made Aadhaar mandatory for students who wants to avail scholarship under national means cum merit scholarship scheme. The responsibility to collect Aadhaar from students lies in the hands of the principal of the school as well as parents or guardians of the students.
The Principal of each school should ensure that students from an economically weaker background is enrolled for Aadhaar. It is their responsibility to take them to the nearest Aadhaar enrollment centre. Aadhaar authentication is now mandatory for 12 such scholarship schemes. For example, to avail the scholarship under central sector scholarship scheme for college and university students, Means cum Merit Scholarship Scheme, Midday Meal Program s
The HRD ministry has made Aadhaar mandatory for a number of entrance exams like entrance exam for MBBS (Bachelors of medicine and bachelor of surgery) i.e. NEET, BDS (Bachelors of Dental surgery), UPSEE (Uttar Pradesh State Entrance Exam), JEE(Main), JEE(Advanced) Etc.
In order to curb forgery in university degrees the UGC is considering linking Aadhaar with university degrees.
State Board Examinations
The Uttar Pradesh Madhyamik Shiksha Parishad has made it mandatory for students to have Aadhaar for appearing for State Board exams in 2018.According to authorities this rule will be applicable for all public and private schools under Uttar Pradesh State Board.