Aadhaar is turning out to be the most important official document held by an Indian resident. Till date, more than 116 Million Unique Aadhaar has been issued. It is the world’s largest National ID Program. An Aadhaar stores holder’s Demographic (Name, Gender, Date of Birth and Address) and Biometric information (Fingerprints and IRIS Scans). Given the usage of Aadhaar in a lot of government programs, it is very important to get an Aadhaar as soon as possible. We have prepared a Guide for Aadhaar Application Process for you.
The first step to get an Aadhaar card is to fill the Aadhaar enrollment form. The enrollment form is available on the official UIDAI website or you can also get it from your nearest Aadhaar center.
Things to Remember
While filling in the offline enrollment form one should keep in mind the following things:
1)CAPITAL LETTERS ONLY: -To avoid any differences in handwriting, capital letters are preferred as they are bigger and can be easily read
2)LEGIBLE: -The information provided should be neatly written. In case if the officials do not understand what you have written, you may have to apply for corrections and this will delay your process of Aadhaar generation
- 1 Steps to fill Aadhaar Application Form
- 2 Documents Required During Aadhaar Application Process
- 3 How to Locate your Nearest Aadhaar Enrollment Centre
- 4 At Aadhaar Enrollment Centre
- 5 Aadhaar Enrollment Fees
Steps to fill Aadhaar Application Form
There are all total 12 columns in the form. A step by step guideline to fill the form is provided below: –
This is not a mandatory field. If you want to provide your demographic data online to UIDAI you can visit their official website and after filling in your details you will be provided with a pre-enrollment ID. You may provide this number in this column
2)NPR receipt/TIN number
This refers to national population survey slip or Tax Identification number. Again, this is not a mandatory field
Here you should mention your full name, I.e., your first name, your middle name, and your surname. Your name should match with the name that provided in your identity proof document
Here you will have to identify your gender as male, female or Transgender
If you are not sure about your age, you can provide your approximate age. If you do not have any documents to prove your age, then click on the declared box and if you have the documents to prove your age then click the verified box
Here you need to provide your address. Your address should match the address that you have provided in your address proof document. Along with your address, you also need to provide your mobile number and email id
7)Details of Family Members
This is not a mandatory column for adults but it is compulsory for children below the age of 5. Parents should provide their names and Aadhaar numbers.
By giving your consent you will allow UIDAI to share the information that you have provided to the public service agencies
In the column “for document based”, it is mandatory to provide your Proof of Identity and Proof of Address. The proof of date of birth is mandatory you have selected the verified box in the date birth field. Proof of relationship document is mandatory if you are using an introducer or a head of the family to enroll for an Aadhaar card.
10)Introducer/Head of the Family
In case a person does not have any proof of Address or proof of identity than he or she will have to fill in the credentials of the head of the family
Here the applicant will have given his/her signature, name or thumbprint to authenticate the form.
Documents Required During Aadhaar Application Process
As Aadhaar acts as a primary ID card for an Indian Resident, the document requirements to apply for an Aadhaar are quite stringent. An applicant has to furnish
Proof of Identity Documents Containing Name and Photo
This is basically to prove the Name and Father’s name of the applicant. The documents that can be submitted as a Proof of Identity are
- PAN Card
- Ration/ PDS Photo Card
- Voter ID
- Driving License
- Government Photo ID Cards/ service photo identity card issued by PSU
- NREGS Job Card
- Photo ID issued by Recognized Educational Institution
- Arms License
- Photo Bank ATM Card
- Photo Credit Card
- Pensioner Photo Card
- Freedom Fighter Photo Card
- Kissan Photo Passbook
- CGHS / ECHS Photo Card
- Address Card having Name and Photo issued by Department of Posts
- Certificate of Identify having photo issued by Gazetted Officer or Tehsildar on letterhead
- Disability ID Card/handicapped medical certificate issued by the respective State/UT Governments/Administrations
Proof of Address
As the name suggests, these documents are required to confirm the Permanent Residence Address of the applicant. A valid Proof of Address should contain the Name and Address of the applicant. Following documents can be submitted as Proof of Address documents for Aadhaar.
- Bank Statement/ Passbook
- Post Office Account Statement/Passbook
- Ration Card
- Voter ID
- Driving License
- Government Photo ID cards/ service photo identity card issued by PSU
- Electricity Bill (not older than 3 months)
- Water bill (not older than 3 months)
- Telephone Landline Bill (not older than 3 months)
- Property Tax Receipt (not older than 1 year)
- Credit Card Statement (not older than 3 months)
- Insurance Policy
- Signed Letter having Photo from Bank on letterhead
- Signed Letter having Photo issued by registered Company on letterhead
- Signed Letter having Photo issued by Recognized Educational Institutions on letterhead
- NREGS Job Card
- Arms License
- Pensioner Card
- Freedom Fighter Card
- Kissan Passbook
- CGHS / ECHS Card
- Certificate of Address having photo issued by MP or MLA or Gazetted Officer or Tehsildar on letterhead
- Certificate of Address issued by Village Panchayat head or its equivalent authority (for rural areas)
- Income Tax Assessment Order
- Vehicle Registration Certificate
- Registered Sale / Lease / Rent Agreement
- Address Card having Photo issued by Department of Posts
- Caste and Domicile Certificate having Photo issued by State Govt.
- Disability ID card/handicapped medical certificate issued by respective State/UT Governments/Administrations
- Gas Connection Bill (not older than 3 months)
- Passport of Spouse
- Passport of Parents (in case of Minor)
- Allotment letter of accommodation issued by Central/State government of not more than 3 years old
- Marriage Certificate Issued by the Government containing address
Proof of Date of Birth
Date of Birth is an important demographic information of an Indian resident. It is important to have correct and proved date of birth on an Official document as Aadhaar Card. Applicant must submit documents that clearly shows their Name and Date of Birth. Following documents can be submitted as Proof of Date of Birth during Aadhaar Application Process.
- Birth Certificate
- SSLC Book/Certificate
- Certificate of Date of Birth issued by Group A Gazetted Officer on letterhead
- PAN Card
- Mark sheet issued by any Government Board or University
- Government Photo Id Card / Photo identity card issued by PSU containing DoB
- Central/State Pension Payment Order
- Central Government Health Service Scheme Photo Card or Ex-Servicemen Contributory Health Scheme Photo card
Proof of Relationship
In case, you have selected an Introducer/Head of Family in Step 10 of an Application form. You have to submit a Proof of Relationship Document containing the relationship to Head of Family/Introducer. UIDAI recommends following documents that can be used as proof of relationship.
- PDS Card
- MNREGA Job Card
- CGHS/State Government/ECHS/ESIC Medical card
- Pension Card
- Army Canteen Card
- Birth Certificate issued by Registrar of Birth, Municipal Corporation and other notified local government bodies like Taluk, Tehsil etc.
- Any other Central/State government issued family entitlement document
- Marriage Certificate Issued by the Government
After you are done with the Aadhaar application process, you have to submit the completed application. You will be provided an Acknowledgement Number after the successful submission of the form. You have to go to an Authorized Aadhaar Enrollment Center with the provided Acknowledgement number and documents.
How to Locate your Nearest Aadhaar Enrollment Centre
You can locate your nearest Aadhaar centre with the following steps:
- Visit the official UIDAI website
- Click on “Locate enrollment centre” on the home page
- Next, you need to feel your details like state, district, sub district and village or town or city
- Enter the verification code provided in the captcha in box above
- Finally, click on the search button and the Aadhaar centre name, Address and contact person will appear on the screen
At Aadhaar Enrollment Centre
After locating the Centre, You have to take the acknowledgment slip and documents to the nearest Aadhaar Centre. Representatives at Aadhaar Center will
- Take your Photograph using a web camera
- Will record finger prints of all 10 fingers.
- Will perform an IRIS (Retina) Scan
- Cross check whether the information provided in application matches with your documents.
Aadhaar Enrollment Fees
As notified by UIDAI on multiple occasions, you will be charged nothing for Aadhaar Enrollment. That’s right, Aadhaar enrollment is free and you should not pay anything to the Aadhaar Enrollment centre for the application process.
After all this, he/she will upload your application to UIDAI and will generate an Enrollment Number for you. Keep this enrollment number and slip handy as it can be used to download your E-Aadhaar.