The government has time and again has explained the importance of linking Aadhaar with PAN. The government has set 31 August as the last date of linking Aadhaar with PAN. The rationale given for this move is to ensure the prevention and deactivation of duplicate PAN card. The PAN card only comprises of the demographic data whereas the Aadhaar comprises of both the demographic as well as biometric data which are authenticated by the Aadhaar authorities.
Reasons for Deactivation
There can be a number of reasons when a person’s Aadhaar can get deactivated
1.If a person has not used his or her Aadhaar card for 3 years continuously then his or her Aadhaar will automatically get deactivated
2.If the Aadhaar is not linked to Bank Account or PAN card
3.If the details provided by a person does not match with the details mentioned in the documents that he or she has provided for identity and demographic authentication
4.If the Aadhaar is not used for any kind of transaction like while claiming EPFO etc.
Benefits of linking Aadhaar with PAN
1)It prevents the duplication of PAN card. The Aadhaar is an authenticated identity proof comprising of both the demographic as well as bio-metric details of a person.
2)The Aadhaar is a 12 digit number provided by the Unique Identification Authority of India. This number can be used for multiple purposes like it can be used as an identity proof, to attain KYC data etc. The PAN card does not comprise of the demographic data of an individual. It is a 10 digit number provided by the Income Tax Department.
3)The Aadhaar and PAN link will help the government in identifying the Duplicate PAN cards and take necessary action against them.
How to Check Aadhaar Status
The government has set 31 Aug as the last date to link Aadhaar with PAN card. However, before starting the process of linking Aadhaar with the PAN card, it is important to check validation of both the identity cards. The following steps must be taken to find out the status of the identity cards
- Visit the official website of UIDAI.
- Click on “Verify Aadhaar” that can be found on the right-hand side of the page
- Fill in the 12 digit Aadhaar number in the box provided.
- After this, you will be redirected to a page which will show the Aadhaar details, as well as the Aadhaar status like the last three digits of the Aadhaar, registered mobile number.
- In case the Aadhaar card is not valid then the message “number does not exist” appears on the page.
- The Status of the PAN card can be checked by visiting the official website of income tax e-filing
- Click on “know your PAN” option provided on the left-hand side of the home page.
- After this, a form will appear on the screen where a person is required to fill in his or her details like Surname, middle name, first name, status, gender, date of birth and mobile number.
- After filling in the details click on “submit”
- After submitting the form a One Time Password will be sent to the registered mobile number.A person should provide the OTP in the relevant box and click on “validate”
- After this, a page appears on the screen displaying the PAN number, first name, middle name, surname, citizenship, jurisdiction, and remarks.The validity of the PAN card is provided under the remarks column
What to do if Aadhaar is Deactivated
If in case a person finds Aadhaar deactivated then he or she needs to go to the nearest enrollment and re-verify his or her details.The following points must be kept in mind while re-verifying the Aadhaar details:
a)A person will have to fill in the Aadhaar update form in the enrollment center
b)The biometric data must be provided for re-verification
c)It must also be noted that a valid mobile number must be mentioned
d)An amount of Rs 25 has to be paid at the enrollment center for updating the data
e)The bio-metrics provided and the previously provided biometric data will be compared and checked by the Aadhaar authorities to make any updates.
It must further be noted that to update Aadhaar details a person will have to physically be present in the enrollment center.The updates cannot be done online or by post.